Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ReadyforSpring

Exclamation Submerged 07 STX-15f ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Anyone,
    I am in dire need of guidance. Saturday, after riding my ski for approximately 5 hours, I came anchor in close to land. Letting my cousin and her husband ride, they strapped up and hopped on. As they both hop on the a$$ end sinks, so they both bail. Come to find out (no one knows how it happened) both of my plugs were out, so needless to say, the engine bay way half-way submerged in water. Now it will not turn over, and it sounds like something is seized.

This is where I need your infinite knowledge my friends, what should I look for or what should I do to fix this? What should I do to check if my engine has water in it? Please any help is greatly appreciated. Please note, I am a novice to the newer 4-stroke engines, I know about the 2-strokes. Just purchased this one about 3 months ago. Want to get it back in the water.

Get all the water of of the inside of the hull. Remove the spark plugs. Check the oil and see if it is milky. You never want to crank an engine that you suspect has water in it unless you have the spark plugs removed (sounds like it is too late for that).

I'm sure if you do a search, you can find much better detail. You have a LOT of work to do tho. Did you check the oil to see if its milky? If not, do so, don’t bother trying to turn over the ski just yet. You need to get the water our of the motor assuming you have water injestion. Few things to do first tho. And a few things you need to buy. First order an oil sucker, you will need one for sure, and some cheap walmart oil just to do a couple of oil changes, and a new oil filter or 2. Read the manual, see what oil it takes, I cant remember. You need to make sure your air intake is water free, as well as your intake manifold assuming you sucked in water. Once those are water free, you need to suck the oil out. Then put new cheap oil in. You need to burp the ski some, by removing each spark plug, and burp the motor until no water comes out. Re-install spark plug, put boot back on, remove the next. Repeat till all 4 pistons have no water squirt out. DON’T TURN THE MOTOR over just yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Once you've done that, suck the oil out again….Then put another cheap oil in. at this point, its up to you to start the motor. If it does not crank, make sure your battery is charged. IF it wont turn, you may have foked up the motor if you tried to start it with water inside. Good luck…

If its salt water, you should have done this the same day it happened….And the plugs don’t just come out. You may have forgotten to put them in. If you were riding a lot, and not stopping much, you chould have bailed the water out, but once it sat for some time, the water just filled up the bilge.

ReadyforSpring

ReadyforSpring

More info on my situation

So to give you guys some more info, the lake was fresh water (thnak goodness). I did try and start it once it happened. It ran for a couple seconds. My intentions were to run it wide open and drain the water using the momentum, but it never ran long enough to get ti going. Now when I try and start it, it just sounds like it is locked up. Now I did realize the "locked up" sound is coming more from the rear of the jet ski. Is this where the starter is? I was thinking (and praying) it is the starter that is seized, since it wont turn over. I could be completely wrong though. I am also going to look in the jet pump to make sure nothing is caught in there stopping it from turning over. I plan on pulling the plugs tonight (i need to get the extension for my socket set) and burp the neigne to release any water in the cylinders/ block. I will post a video of the "locking up" sound, the oil, and the process of draining the block. Thanks to all who help on this. You guys are a big help!

Now if I screwed up a rod or cam shaft or something of the sort, will I need to replace the entire engine, or can I replace the borken parts?

And I had the plugs in before I launched because I remember tightening them (even an extra 1/2 turn with a cresent wrench) once I took off the ratchets. I rode it for about 20 minutes without stopping.

Fresh water is better than salt, but you still need to get out of the motor if indeed you ingested water. Don’t waste your time trying to turn it over, or post a video. Get the water out first. THEN try to crank it. And you should never have tried to crank it and run the water out. That’s a no no on your part. Should have removed the ski from the water, drained it on the ramp, checked the oil, then proceeded with what 2 people have already said to do.

ReadyforSpring
    So to give you guys some more info, the lake was fresh water (thnak goodness). I did try and start it once it happened. It ran for a couple seconds. My intentions were to run it wide open and drain the water using the momentum, but it never ran long enough to get ti going. Now when I try and start it, it just sounds like it is locked up. Now I did realize the "locked up" sound is coming more from the rear of the jet ski. Is this where the starter is? I was thinking (and praying) it is the starter that is seized, since it wont turn over. I could be completely wrong though. I am also going to look in the jet pump to make sure nothing is caught in there stopping it from turning over. I plan on pulling the plugs tonight (i need to get the extension for my socket set) and burp the neigne to release any water in the cylinders/ block. I will post a video of the "locking up" sound, the oil, and the process of draining the block. Thanks to all who help on this. You guys are a big help!

Now if I screwed up a rod or cam shaft or something of the sort, will I need to replace the entire engine, or can I replace the borken parts?

And I had the plugs in before I launched because I remember tightening them (even an extra 1/2 turn with a cresent wrench) once I took off the ratchets. I rode it for about 20 minutes without stopping.

ReadyforSpring
    Yea I know I screwed up trying to run it. Kinda freaked out when it happened. Fingers crossed I didnt screw up the engine. If so, i already scoped out a new engine from SBT.

Quote Originally Posted by 96zxi1100 View Post
    S
    And I had the plugs in before I launched because I remember tightening them (even an extra 1/2 turn with a cresent wrench) once I took off the ratchets.
    Well, if you did a half turn with a wrench, after they were hand tight, you may have cracked them, and they fell off during riding some time, hand tight if PLENTY. They have a rubber washer on them, this offers the ski plenty seal from the water. Again..Hand tighten is fine. No need to crank the Sh!t out of it. Its plastic, plastic breaks.

Yes, check under the ski, maybe you sucked in a rock if you were on the shore trying to fire it up. Check the oil tho, see if its milky. If its not, and you find a rock in the prop, or something in the prop area, you might be okay. MIGHT…But you need to inspect the air intake, that little see thru plastic part shows if you have sucked in water.
    The starter is sealed, and its middle of the ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information