Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Life is Supercharged (without ceramics)
    +1

Vibration from pump/rear area 05 RXP

Hi Guys

Took out the jet today and i noticed pretty serious vibration coming from the rear/pump area. It actually ran without any issues about a week ago when it had its old spark plugs.

Im just wondering if anyone has had vibration issues by changing plugs, perhaps the new plugs i installed before the run werent very good (oem ngk plugs from the seadoo dealer). The vibrations feel like the impeller has something stuck in it but theres nothing there. I may be too freaked out but its almost like the shaft is wobbling with the impeller or something.

So i currently swapped in the old plugs and I will take it out again this week to see if the vibration goes away. I also noticed that it wouldnt go over 62 mph today (usually reads a good 72-73 mph on its own speedometer). RPM was still high around 7500 rpm again. It also had a lot of hesitation and when it was throttled it would go to 5000 rpm right away and then work its way to higher revs slowly.

Im going to start slow in case the plugs are poor even though they are the right spec and new and then move on to see if the impeller has some issues. Its really hard to explain but the vibrations are very strong and it feels like its primarily from the pump area in the back (seadoo print area). Im debating to take apart them pump and investigate perhaps that rear bearing is gone ?

Any suggestions would be helpful as a starting point at least.

RXP specs
    - 2005 w 72 hours
    - metal riva washers on stock SC
    - oil change this season
    - 14/19 solas
    - riva 3" intake
    - riva intake grate

+1
    Check your wear ring..You may have sucked something up and damaged that...Also check the blades on your prop to see if you dont have one out of whack or broke,check your nose cone too to see if that didnt come lose and walked up the driveshaft....Last but not least check your carbon sea.Make sure its OK and not leaking..

+1
    i took another look at the prop and ring, i cant see anything out of place. The green nose cone that attaches to the prop is the riva alloy thing so i dont think it can ride up, its actually right on the impeller so that looks good.

Wear ring has a few scratches but nothing serious compared to my old wear ring.

Im not sure how to check the carbon seal, but i didnt see any water leaking in when i took off the seat on the water. I did however notice it was hesitating when accelerated from idle to full rev, it would kind of bog down and then let go.

Im just wondering if its possible for a bad set of plugs to make this kind of change. My old had similar symptoms and i thought the engine was on its way out and it ran like new with some new bosch 4 head plugs. Speaking of which, are there any better plugs for these jet skis ? I mean the ngks look like lawnmower plugs, i dont care if i have to spend a bit more as long as i know i can get more hours out of my plugs and better performance.

Im taking out the jet tomorrow with the old plugs which ran somewhat smoother on the trailer.
    I also have the stock prop out of storage to swap in if the issues continue and then I will see what the issue is.

The jet also has a good amount of hours so i need to look into replacing the fuel filter and perhaps cleaning the injectors, might also be the cause of some power loss issues.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Check the bearings in the pump

+1
    is that a common wear item?

is this the bearing holding the impeller

Do you have a part number for that bearing? is it just one or two ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-TOM View Post
    Check the bearings in the pump
    btw is it called the thrust bearing? can i feel it wobble when i remove the pump? Shouldnt it wobble a bit when i remove the pump and spin the prop off the jet? Im sure it will be a hassle to swap so i want to at least diagnose it correctly.

I dont even know how this thing will come out, just hammers out like a wheel bearing?

here is the link, ive always felt a slight wobble at idle in my rxp so perhaps it has been this thing all along.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

or is it this other part?? this seems to be at the drive shaft (i would oder a new one if this is the part you are referring to).
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SeaDo...ht_8353wt_1026

+1
    Hi guys

Today's update
    - running old plugs now

It wouldn't start in the water, finally started after a few tries.

It ran well and hit 63.5mph on gps on relatively choppy water, is that an ok speed with my setup? Solas 14/19, 3" riva intake and riva grate, seems a bit low but water was crap. Revs stayed at 8050 rpm at that speed.

So that looked good except for the bad start.

So then afterna bit of hard riding, vibration began to get very noticeable again and almost like a moving flexshaft.

Given the bad start I'm thinking it can be the pump but the ignition system, maybe the coils ?

Tool out the new plugs yesterday and cyl 1 had a little burned oil on it, the others were clean.

I also took off the grate at home with the plugs out to play with the prop. Didn't budge at all, no wobble with it all installed. Should I remove the pump to spin it with no shaft connection and see how the bearing is?

I'm honestly really lost and kind of frustrated, I just want to take it apart to get it fixed.

Btw I also cut my finger on the prop trying to turn it, its got about a paper thin difference to the wear ring.

I'm wondering if perhaps I could turn the jet on while I'm undrneath and maybe spot a wobble?

I honestly feel its engine relates. Its very rough at idle too but revs are around 1850 rpm.

Anyone have any other suggestions/tests I can do on the water?

Thanks in advance

+1
    finally found time to take off the pump

everything looks ok with the wear ring, prop is in good shape. There is just a scratch mark from when i caught a tiny stick while idling to the dock (no wake zone).

However i dont recall my prop being so hard to spin by hand, is that normal?

Ill take a video clip of it and post it up later. I can turn it but it stops spinning almost instantly, its as hard to turn as my car wheel bearing.

There is also a humming like sound coming from it when it spins. Im guessing i need a pump rebuild kit? I priced out the parts i need and i think im looking at around 170$ and change directly from seadoo.

Any thoughts? Im at 73 hours right now but i rode it about 40 in salt so i think that may have caused the bearing to go quicker.

Thanks again everyone

I had a mystery vibration that sounded like it was coming from the pump, rpm's were normal, dealer couldn't figure it out at first, turns out it was a supercharger bearing going bad with only 45hrs after a rebuild causing the vibration. Something to consider.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thedirtyburd View Post
    I had a mystery vibration that sounded like it was coming from the pump, rpm's were normal, dealer couldn't figure it out at first, turns out it was a supercharger bearing going bad with only 45hrs after a rebuild causing the vibration. Something to consider.
    thanks for the tip, it surely makes a lot of sense. I added metal washers to mine at 40 hours and now at 33 hours later the SC could be acting up.

I have a local guy who is starting up a small dealer/seadoo parts store so im meeting up with him tonight to have him look at the pump.

Do you recall which bearing it was on the SC? I looked into the SC rebuild kits for my 2005 stock charger and they are something like 310$ from RIVA. Im debating to just buy a used RXP-X charger and some 42lb injectors instead of rebuilding my stock RXP charger.

I think a guy is asking 450$ for an X charger right now (35 hrs), does that sound like a good deal? for 150$ more ?

BTW you were still getting the 8050rpm redline ?? or higher in the X i guess. Mine struggled to start the other day which is making me think its the pump for some reason.

This guy just got back to me with a quote for 155$ for all the parts to rebuild the pump (bearing, o ring, 2 seals, grease)

I think ill do this first, im so used to taking my jet apart now im no longer worried SC will be like a few hr job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information