Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Securing oil lines with pinch clamps

From reading posts in the forums it seems the biggest problem with the oil injection system is that the oil lines fall off. Yamaha choose to use plastic zip ties to secure all the oil and fuel lines. Most of the "experts" (repair guys) here seem to say that the oil injection pumps themselves do not seem to fail. So this leads us to the hoses.

I wanted to keep the oil injection system intact because I can stop anywhere to buy fuel on the water, but if you pre-mix, that becomes nearly impossible. I purchased new hoses from Fast Flow Fuel lines (http://fuel-line.net/) and it seems to be quality stuff. The second part is "pinch clamps". These are 304 stainless steel clamps, so they won't rust or come loose. I picked these up from Murry Corporation part #: KVGT5070 (which is the oldest clamp company in the USA) http://www.murraycorp.com/index.pl/seamless_pinch.htm. Last I used a stainless steel worm clamp for the line from the tank to the pump. If you need to take out the engine at any point in the future, this will make it easier. You will need two clamps. One at the pump and one on the oil tank.

I started by removing the two bolts that hold on the oil pump. This is the only way to get the pinch clamp pliers to clamp the inside line (first and second pictures). Remove only one hose, cut it to size and clamp it at a time! This ensures that you keep the hoses on the one-way valves in the correct order. Warning: If you put the one-way valve on backwards, it will stop the flow of oil and you will ruin your motor! So do them one hose at a time, so you won't screw up.

The next issue is to get the oil back into the lines. Fortunately the Fast Flow lines came with a little sample pack of hose pieces that were about 1 inch long. It turns out that one was the perfect size to slip over the pump key. I stuck a screw into an electric drill for the other end and set to to spin the pump "counter clockwise" (see picture). You will have to put the short oil line into one of your two stroke containers as it will fill up long before the other one. This is going to take several minutes as it is kind of slow. Once both lines are full, I then attached and clamped them to the carb housing. Reassemble the air box and you should be good to go. So I hope this helps someone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000059.jpg 
Views:	1617 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	208075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000062.jpg 
Views:	1025 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	208076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000064.jpg 
Views:	1021 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	208077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000058.jpg 
Views:	940 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	208078  

+1
    I had one guy contact me from the UK saying he wanted a set of clamps and the crimp tool as they are unavailable there. For me to make another order with Murray I would need to get a few people who want the tool and a bunch of clamps. It looks like it would be roughly about $35 for the tool and 25 7mm clamps plus whatever shipping costs. Anyone else interested? Also, if someone has a newer ski, e.g. GPR, can you tell me if the oil lines are roughly 6.5 to 7mm OD too (about 1/4" on the outside) or are they thicker? I saw some picts on a rebuild thread and it looked like they may have been thicker?

I believe part of the issue are the lines also crumble apart isnt it ?

1/4 OD. Mcmaster
    52545SS38Gap-Free Pinch Hose and Tube Clamp 15/64" to 9/32" Clamp ID Range, 13/64" Band Width.

I took this off a previous post about these clamps (but I don't know how to post a link to it!), and this was posted by Beerdart with regard to the Oil Lines. Cheers, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by richdash View Post
    I believe part of the issue are the lines also crumble apart isnt it ?
    I don't think the lines crumbling is an issue, but they have a nasty habit of popping off the tiny spigots at the oil pump end or at the carbs, and it's not healthy for the motor! I know all the arguements for Pre-mix are valid, I just don't want to go that route for a number of reasons! Cheers, Dave

60% of the time, it works every time.
    this post could not have come at a better time! I am in the process of rebuilding and was interested in keep the oil injection intact. I also replaced all my oil lines and fuel line when i did the carbs early this year with lines from FFFL on Ebay. I had been reading that the main issue was the lines and not the pump which made me feel a bit more comfortable about leaving the pump on. I'll probably go ahead with my plan to keep the pump. I'd be interested in a clamp/tool "kit" if it would help everyone get a better deal. I'm still waiting on my parts so I won't be tearing into the motor for a week or more. please keep me in the loop. thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    1/4 OD. Mcmaster
    52545SS38Gap-Free Pinch Hose and Tube Clamp 15/64" to 9/32" Clamp ID Range, 13/64" Band Width.

I took this off a previous post about these clamps (but I don't know how to post a link to it!), and this was posted by Beerdart with regard to the Oil Lines. Cheers, Dave.
    Ok, that is exactly the same as on my Ventures and would be the exact same clamp. Good to know.

great work but keep an eye on those fuel lines seems some negative feedback has been poping up on them latley http://www.x-h2o.com/showthread.php?...el-line-issues

+1
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm only using them for the oil injection lines, not fuel, but I will check them from time to time to see if they get "hard". My fuel lines are still the originals, but feel fine. Hopefully I should also be able to notice if the color inside changes. Right now it's just a darker blue (as the oil is a dark blue/green).

I'm almost thinking of getting pinch clamps for the fuel lines too, but if a fuel line fell off, you'd know right away as you would have a massive power loss.

Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    I'd be interested in a clamp/tool "kit" if it would help everyone get a better deal. I'm still waiting on my parts so I won't be tearing into the motor for a week or more. please keep me in the loop. thanks
    I would be interested too... if it's not too late.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information