Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

FZR/GPR-Please help me decide!

Hi,
    have been pondering a while-and I nearly bought it yesterday but stopped.
    Thinking about trading my gpr for a fzr, but will I regret it???
    I really like the feel of the gpr-the 'chuckability' and the comparative light feel compared to the newer bigger skis.
    My biggest problem is that I can't get to try a Fzr-the local dealers don't have demos-they get them in to order.
    Will I regret getting the bigger FZr, or are they really as playfull and nimble as people sat? tho it is mostly the people who are trying to sell them who seem to be telling me how good they are!
    Any real world info from guys who have gone from a gpr to a fzr would be great!

+1
    I went from an Ultra 250 to the FZS so my opinion might not be as good as someone who went from a smaller to bigger ski but the ski is awesome and I feel you will love it. I feel that it is very playful, handles great, and is very easy to jump with. Get the FZR/S and you won't regret it.

+1
    Is your Gpr highly modified, porting,timing premix etc....the FZR will save you $ going 4-stroke, but you probably knew that. If its performance the FZR is on a roll, just read JERRYS or JD-1 builds.But if your GPR is a non pv 05-08 ,it just took an adrenalin shot in the arm with there own reflash, hmm........

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Is your Gpr highly modified, porting,timing premix etc....the FZR will save you $ going 4-stroke, but you probably knew that. If its performance the FZR is on a roll, just read JERRYS or JD-1 builds.But if your GPR is a non pv 05-08 ,it just took an adrenalin shot in the arm with there own reflash, hmm........
    what is this reflash you speak of?

+1
    After 5 years of gpr's i went to the FZS last year. My main reason was to go with a bigger ski that wouldn't be so brutal on my lower back in bad chop. I first test rode a friends sho cruiser. The acceleration was great. Never felt anything like it on either of my gpr's. I didn't care for the cruiser seat(with my height, my ass sat right on the hump) The sho cruiser has a barge feel to it. It plows the chop nicely, but doesn't turn all that well in my opinion coming from a gpr. The new FZ ski's came on the scene and it was known that they were based on the gpr bottom hull design. Which is more playful in turns.

In my opinion, I got what i wanted in the FZ. a ski that handles much like a gpr, but with the added length to not be as rough on the rider as the smaller gpr. I do however feel that the FZ is a more fragile ski than the gpr. Due to the lighter material used in the hull, and the heavier engine. I have not and won't wave jump my FZ like i did my gpr. For one, i had no fears in revving my gpr up a wave and letting off the throttle suddenly to make a jump. I don't have the feeling with the FZ. Second, when i launched off a wave on the gpr. I wasn't worried about the landing. I knew the ski could handle it even if i decided to jump off in mid flight due to a bad angle. I don't have that faith in the nano-cell hull or the motor mounts for that matter.

Blown clutches, cracked hulls, those things happen for a reason. They didn't come from the factory like that. Every ski owner treats their ski differently. from strapping it to trailer, to letting off the throttle, to wave jumping. One persons problem doesn't mean every ski will have that problem. Some things like the clutches are wear and tear and will eventually happen to all the ski's no matter how gentle you are on them.

I have 89 hours on my fzs. 50 of those stage 2 modded. No problems with clutch yet. But, it's just a matter of time. Hopefully, a better fix will be available when that time comes.

Went through the same dilemma this year. Having had a gpr since 2000, I wasn't sure if I wanted a bigger ski. After buying my wife an sho and riding it some I went ahead and bought myself a fzs and sold the gpr. Like kamikaze I don't jump waves with the fzs like I did the gpr, but other than that every thing's better with the fzr. Even small things like being able to talk to a passenger while your riding, or having plenty of storage space.

+1
    What is the difference bewtween the FZS and FZR? I went on the Yamaha website and the only difference I could see was a slightly diferent seat? Can someone clarify?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOTIME View Post
    what is this reflash you speak of?

here ck it out;
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-2005-EFI-Skis

mine's there now

Hueneme Beach Ca.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Hi,
    have been pondering a while-and I nearly bought it yesterday but stopped.
    Thinking about trading my gpr for a fzr, but will I regret it???
    I really like the feel of the gpr-the 'chuckability' and the comparative light feel compared to the newer bigger skis.
    My biggest problem is that I can't get to try a Fzr-the local dealers don't have demos-they get them in to order.
    Will I regret getting the bigger FZr, or are they really as playfull and nimble as people sat? tho it is mostly the people who are trying to sell them who seem to be telling me how good they are!
    Any real world info from guys who have gone from a gpr to a fzr would be great!
    I just sold my GP1200R with a Riva StageII kit and bought an FZS. I think my GP was faster but that won't last long.
    The FZ is SOOO much better in any kind of chop. I was amazed at how "not huge" it feels.
    Most of it is behind you and you don't notice it.
    It's much better for launching off waves because of the torque.
    There are so many possibilties with the FZ.
    I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

+1
    Everybody has said what im thinking-problem is I do spend most of my time in the waves!
    So yes jumping waves is important to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information