Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2010 RXT X - Grinding Noise

Hi

I have a 2010 RXT X with 22 hours. It is a great machine, but in the last week or so, I've noticed a rough grinding noise coming from the right side of the hull underneath the driver. It doesn't seem to make the noise under acceleration, but rather at cruise on flat water. It can be made to make the noise after braking from high speed, but the sound appears for a few seconds and then stops.

I have checked the intake grate for debris as well as the prop. I noticed a small string of kelp which I removed. I didn't look into the pump from the rear of the unit.

This sound is intermittent and a "grinding/vibrating" sound is the best I can explain it. It also sounds a bit like a thread spool spinning at a different speed than the shaft it is on, chattering periodically as it tries to catch up with the rotation of the shaft it is riding on.

The dealer said to check the prop, which I have done. Before I load it up and drop it at the dealership for service, has anyone else experienced this type of noise?

Thanks,

Grover

PS The Sea Doo doesn't seem to have a vibration problem; rather this noise seems to come and go.

YEP, I've experienced similar noise on my 09 255IS when going about 40ish, somewhat decelerating. First noticed after replacing the wearring due to slippage during hard acceleration. Discussed with stealer and they assured me it was normal. Well, couple hours later, at 23 hours, engine went into limp mode, then it showed low oil pressure, then it barely cripplerd back the 100 yards to the dock, almost drowning along the way. Dealer checked out, changed the oil and filter at my insistance, only to find filter full of filings and collapsed. Changed filter and oil and sent me back out the next day after supposedly conferring with BRP! Imagine that, within a half mile, I was back in limp mode, filling with water, trying to get back up river.

After nearly two weeks, BRP finally found what was reported as the only available 255 long block in North America. Also replaced wearring suggesting that I must have picked up some river trash despite my assurance that I hadn't. Dealer replaced engine and wearring and took out for test ride. All was well until he poured on the power. Then imagine that, he started taking on water. Turns out that the shaft bearing and seal are also toast, as well as his new wearring. And maybe that brand new hard to find engine.

At this point, the sled has been down since July 4th! Still no remedy from BRP! No less than 4 hours on the phone, most trying to get through to somebody! And summer in the northeast is running out!

SO, I suggest you check your shaft bearing. The wear ring will likely be first indication. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreManiac View Post
    YEP, I've experienced similar noise on my 09 255IS when going about 40ish, somewhat decelerating. First noticed after replacing the wearring due to slippage during hard acceleration. Discussed with stealer and they assured me it was normal. Well, couple hours later, at 23 hours, engine went into limp mode, then it showed low oil pressure, then it barely cripplerd back the 100 yards to the dock, almost drowning along the way. Dealer checked out, changed the oil and filter at my insistance, only to find filter full of filings and collapsed. Changed filter and oil and sent me back out the next day after supposedly conferring with BRP! Imagine that, within a half mile, I was back in limp mode, filling with water, trying to get back up river.

After nearly two weeks, BRP finally found what was reported as the only available 255 long block in North America. Also replaced wearring suggesting that I must have picked up some river trash despite my assurance that I hadn't. Dealer replaced engine and wearring and took out for test ride. All was well until he poured on the power. Then imagine that, he started taking on water. Turns out that the shaft bearing and seal are also toast, as well as his new wearring. And maybe that brand new hard to find engine.

At this point, the sled has been down since July 4th! Still no remedy from BRP! No less than 4 hours on the phone, most trying to get through to somebody! And summer in the northeast is running out!

SO, I suggest you check your shaft bearing. The wear ring will likely be first indication. GOOD LUCK!
    Thanks for the advice BBM. My wear ring (white) looks perfect except for a fine scratch in it. The prop looks good as well. I suspected that it might be a bad bearing. It doesn't seem to make noise/grind under load (i.e. while accelerating), just when you back off the throttle or are cruising. I've also noticed it on deceleration, but just when I hit the brake.

I'll be talking to the dealer again this weekend when I am back at the lake. He said rinding it couldn't hurt it, but I think he makes the assumption that the noise is a result of damage to the wear ring or debris around the prop. I now know that is not the case.

Hopefully the dealer can get this resolved quickly. If you think summer is short where you are, try living in central Canada!!

Sorry you are having problems. What caused your long block failure? Was it the shaft bearing disintegrating and getting into the engine??

+1
    Double check that your prop is torqued tightly enough. On decel it can back off the threads if loose, and push the shaft away from the carbon seal, and let water in. I always use blue lock tite on the prop threads.

+1
    Next time your out move your trim from center to top etc when it is happening and see if it dissapears.

Grover432,

Metal in the filter originated from the crankshaft keeper banging around the bottom end. As the oil filter collapsed, the metal was thoroughly flushed through the engine. Thus pushed into every bearing and crevice. Dealer suggested rebuilding, but fortunately for me BRP was short 5 parts to do so. This economy has forced OEM's to eliminate all inventory and take JIT supply to new levels. Next engine available is Labor Day.

I have also wondered if the prop was not properly torqued, led to the shaft movement, which led to the crank , seal , and shaft bearing failure. Suffice it to say, I wouldn't run it until it is sorted out. But that may mean not again this year!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreManiac View Post
    Grover432,

Metal in the filter originated from the crankshaft keeper banging around the bottom end. As the oil filter collapsed, the metal was thoroughly flushed through the engine. Thus pushed into every bearing and crevice. Dealer suggested rebuilding, but fortunately for me BRP was short 5 parts to do so. This economy has forced OEM's to eliminate all inventory and take JIT supply to new levels. Next engine available is Labor Day.

I have also wondered if the prop was not properly torqued, led to the shaft movement, which led to the crank , seal , and shaft bearing failure. Suffice it to say, I wouldn't run it until it is sorted out. But that may mean not again this year!!!!!
    Based on what I have read in this thread, I'm convinced I have a loose prop or a bearing problem. I don't really have the tools or know how to start torquing the prop, etc. so I'll likely just take it into the dealer for an assessment and repair. Hopefully something is just loose or if it is a bad bearing, I won't have to wait too long for a repair.

I'm sure if I keep riding it, something will fail. By the way, while I don't moor my X in the water, it has been operated a fair bit and I have no accumulation of water in the bilge so I suspect the shaft seal is still OK.

grover

Great news! Shaft bearing is backordered till who knows when!!!~!

Sorry to hear that. If the parts situation is the same in Canada, it could be the end of the season for me too.

+1
    I believe the grinding noise you are hearing is normal. I hear it on all 3 of my skis.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information