Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blew off my blow off valve

Second time I had to remove my Riva power IC to reinstall the HKS BOV. That little Snap ring is a bitch to install & now I cracked the bov flange while making sure it was seated but It seems to be holding for now. What's the TRICK to INSTALLING? Can the bov housing be dismantled & repaired? Is it alum that can be welded & machined or is it die-cast & disposable?

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bkweld View Post
    Second time I had to remove my Riva power IC to reinstall the HKS BOV. That little Snap ring is a bitch to install & now I cracked the bov flange while making sure it was seated but It seems to be holding for now. What's the TRICK to INSTALLING? Can the bov housing be dismantled & repaired? Is it alum that can be welded & machined or is it die-cast & disposable?
    I've had to remove my Riva IC twice as well to fix that F&*()* snap ring. I used a punch and hammer and gently hammered the ring down all the way around to make sure the ring set itself into the groove. Needless to say, my BOV and flange are pretty beat up but the BOV doesn't move and its held up so far. Don't hammer or tap on the BOV itself, as it's CAST metal. I only hammered directly on the ring itself. Once those front "ears" set inside the groove, I don't see it moving again.

I really think Riva needs to either sell them pre installed or Weld them to the IC, as dealing with that snap ring is a biatch and a half. Especially when you have to take the whole thing out of the boat. I tried for about 2-3 hours to put it back on inside the boat and said I can take it apart and put it back together faster than screwing with it inside the hull.

The Riva supplied o-ring that comes with the Powercooler is a little to big to get the BOV to seat properly. I initially had the Riva BOV kit and re-used the o-ring that was used in that kit. It fit a lot better.

It seems like the addition of the powdercoating on the Powercooler makes the BOV install a little tighter on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargedTaco View Post
    The Riva supplied o-ring that comes with the Powercooler is a little to big to get the BOV to seat properly. I initially had the Riva BOV kit and re-used the o-ring that was used in that kit. It fit a lot better.

It seems like the addition of the powdercoating on the Powercooler makes the BOV install a little tighter on everything.
    +1 on the o-ring...
    I finally got a pretty good snapring plier and it can still be a a pain.

+1
    I greased up that o ring and really smashed it down into the groove on the IC before putting the BOV on. I agree, it's too thick though.

The worst part now, is, my BOV rattles against the Hull like those damn Horns buzzing from the World cup. I've tried adding the soft side of velcro to the hull to stop the BOV from rattling, no luck. I'm trying neoprene pieces next. There's maybe 3mm clearance from the BOV to the side of the hull, sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    I greased up that o ring and really smashed it down into the groove on the IC before putting the BOV on. I agree, it's too thick though.

The worst part now, is, my BOV rattles against the Hull like those damn Horns buzzing from the World cup. I've tried adding the soft side of velcro to the hull to stop the BOV from rattling, no luck. I'm trying neoprene pieces next. There's maybe 3mm clearance from the BOV to the side of the hull, sucks.
    Try loosening your Powercooler bracket bolts(3 bolts)and shift the powercooler as far away from the hull, then re-tighten. The bolt holes on the Powercooler bracket are slightly larger than the bolts allowing the powercooler it shift 1/4" or so side-to-side.
    I did this during my installation and have enough to room to put 2 layers of Hydro-Turf between the hull and the BOV.

That's how I cracked the bov flange, by tapping the snap ring in w/a drift & brad hammer, yeah... coating seems a little thick. So i'm screwed? i can't weld, replace just the bov housing? why not blank off the bov port on the IC, hack down the inlet pipe and relocate the bov to a silicone bov hose between SC & IC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	208179  

That's how I cracked the bov flange, by tapping the snap ring in w/a drift & brad hammer, yeah... coating seems a little thick. So i'm screwed? i can't weld, replace just the bov housing? why not blank off the bov port on the IC, hack down the inlet pipe and relocate the bov to a silicone bov hose between SC & IC.

Damn. I would just install another. Since the Powercooler is removed, you should sand some of the powdercoating in the o-ring groove and inside the lip where the snap ring seats into. This should give enough room to fit the BOV and still be tight.

+1
    Yeah they should come pre welded in a position that doesn't rub the inside of the hull.......... Still cant work out the right position for mine.

Turn right AAAAARRRRRRAAARRR!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargedTaco View Post
    Try loosening your Powercooler bracket bolts(3 bolts)and shift the powercooler as far away from the hull, then re-tighten. The bolt holes on the Powercooler bracket are slightly larger than the bolts allowing the powercooler it shift 1/4" or so side-to-side.
    I did this during my installation and have enough to room to put 2 layers of Hydro-Turf between the hull and the BOV.
    I'll try that this weekend when I put my new SC wheel in and the SC comes out. I can get to the bottom bracket bolt then on the stud. I tried fitting some hydro turf between the hull and the BOV, no luck at all. Good tip!!! Thanks man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information