Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Guy with 650 SL

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have been working on two 1992 Polaris 650 SLs since about May. One I had to rebuild the jet pump (replaced bearings and shaft), replaced and cleaned carbs, replaced bad reeds, and now after a few minutes of riding have to replace the front piston. The second one is mainly for parts but since i have everything I need to make it run I was think of rebuilding the pump and motor. All together I have about $500 in both (purchased 1st for $400 and the 2nd for $150). Had some trouble getting bearings for rebuild of the jet pump but wasn't a big deal when I found the second ski.

Currently took the 1st ski apart and removed the jugs to replace the worn out pistons. I have yet to tear down the carbs but I suspect the carb that fed the burnt piston has a bad needle. I'm going to block off the oil pump and replace the top end in this one.

Is SBT a good spot to get parts from? I just ordered the fuel pump upgrade kit and block off but now I would like to order the top end exchange. I tried to get a hold of a local CNY shop but they haven't returned my message, they are located in Oswego, NY.

Once I get them up and running I'll get cosmetic things like the foot pads and seat redone, then worry about paint. I didn't want to get to crazy and keep things low budget.
    Here is the ski pics when I first got them:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00159.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	208303

Trailer that I just got:

Name:	IMG00236.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	208304

Engine damage:

Name:	IMG00182.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	208305

I was able to remove jugs and tear down motor in the ski (didn't need to remove motor) to right about here: I need to pull pistons off and get the new top end setup. The bottom end looks good, so I'm hoping to replace gaskets and top end kit
    http://www.shopsbt.com/pol-1992-sl650/62-301.html

Name:	IMG00223.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	208306

Any help with parts or finding a local shop for assistance would be awesome.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Contact John Zigler,a member on here,he can get you pistons and rings to rebuild it. What type of shape is your jugs in,if not bad,you could hone them or have them done. Or have them bored and go oversize piston and rings. If you have just one bad,john should have a good one. Also xlint has some good ones on e-bay right now,and then there is alot of used parts always on here.
    zigler's # 608-743-1305

Also check to see if you still have the Auto-cock on it.If you do junk it and eliminate it. There's alot of info on what should be done on a old ski to improve it and make it dependable on here.

Keddano- thanks for the advice. Saturday in the morning I'm going to stop out at a shop in Oswego with the ski have them look over a few things. I think their price is in line with SBT's after shipping for the top end rebuild. So I like to give money to local dudes and they might tune it for me which will be a killer plus.

The one part I've been having problems with is the fuel lines(both intank and carb rails) with the correct clamps to use. Also if the three tubes going into the gas tank are all need or is one a vent??

Also the shaft has a greasable bearing set that prevents water coming in the hull, mine has a slight drip and is spraying a good amount of grease. On inspection everything looked great. No idea if I should upgrade or just replace it. I noticed a few guys have referenced the bearings and differences but what is the advantage over the cost.

Thanks.

Went to Sharp's Marine in Oswego and spoke with Jay. I'm on board to get my old jugs cleaned up and match to my new top end that he is putting together for me. I learned alot about the fuel system in my ski as well as other things that I will need to bring it up to spec. I was very happy and appreciative with the time Jay took with me to get some hands on knowledge of the parts that I have learned about and read on this site. Hope to have the top end back on Friday or Saturday to next week and I'll start the assembly process very soon after.

In quick inventory of his polaris graveyard I believe I'll be building a 780 ski out of my other 650 hull and putting the larger jet pump in it. Nice little winter project.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 92PolarisMike View Post
    The one part I've been having problems with is the fuel lines(both intank and carb rails) with the correct clamps to use. Also if the three tubes going into the gas tank are all need or is one a vent??
    Some folks on here use the Oetiker clamps, but I've done just fine with the pinch clamps. Stay away from the old-style screw clamps and zip-ties. Get some high quality fuel line for the carb rails; the blue stuff works great, as you can see the gas and any bubbles that are caught in the line. When plugging the lines (doing the conversion to the triple pump) I use a 1/4" hose barb and solder a brass screw in one end to plug it. Sorry, but I freak out at even the slightest possibility of gas leaking.

I Use 1/4" blue gas line and 3/16" ear clamps. Hope this helps.

So I got the jugs back from Jay at Sharps in Oswego and started the install of the top end kit I purchased from him as well. I'm very happy with the service and time Jay spent to show me what is going on. I can't wait to learn some more as I begin to finish this ski and move onto the other project 650 ski. I started on painting the jugs and then began the piston install while those where drying. By Sunday evening I had the jugs in and the heads ready to torque down but I had to leave for business so I plan to finish it up Friday and Saturday morning.

My question are going back to the fuel system, I replaces and rebuild the carbs and they seem to be set, but what do I do about the fuel pump? I tried to pull the stock pump apart to clean it but broke one of the outlets nozzles in the vise. I was given a triple outlet pump so I have been looking at how to plumb it up. I noticed this post (http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ian-SL-Project) and liked the setup should I do this or just block off the bridge btw the carbs?? I also plan on draining the tanks and cleaning it out, also the fuel lines that run from the tank to the carbs has three inlets, do all three need lines or is one a vent??

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 92PolarisMike View Post
    ...By Sunday evening I had the jugs in and the heads ready to torque down...
    Doesn't the exhaust manifold need to be installed 'snug' before the cylinder bases get torqued down?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Doesn't the exhaust manifold need to be installed 'snug' before the cylinder bases get torqued down?
    Yes

Thanks guys on both accounts!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information