Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some 701 to 1200 ???'s

Before I ask a bunch of repetitive questions, have many people done this conversion ? I've been searching on here all morning and haven't come across any threads, only from the 760 owners and folks with other model 800 skis.

Compatibility of drivetrain parts and fitment is where my curiosity is at.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    Well it will fit. Same basic motor as the 1100 in the Raiders, Just bored out more. What year 701??? If its a 94, than you will need to make mounts for it, 95-97 already have the hull ready for mounts for the 1100 (or 1200 in your case). You will need to change the pump from the 144 mm to the 155mm pump.

well, I figured from the standpoint of trying to find a motor, and then parts for it afterward, the 1200 would be easier to deal with. That's what some folks recommended to me in a different thread, anyhow. Mine is a '95.

So I'd want to be looking for a GP1200 right ? or were all of the 2 stroke 1200's in the '90's the same ? Sorry, still learning all the models and whatnot.

As a former musclecar guy, I can understand the "fun" with engine swapping. It's cool to advertise 350 badges and secretly be packing a 454. I went through 4 different motors in a 69' Camaro before I called it quits. In hindsight, I should have kept the motor it came with.

My advice to you is "Get wet & have fun on the 701".

If you wanna go "Big Block" just buy an 1100 Raider. It's the same SMC hull as your 95. It will perform nearly like all the work of a 1200 into yours. You'll end up with a straight-line, glass water rocket and a pig in the handling dept. It will sidestep you in chop and throw you with no forgiveness.

Thanks.... Since you have both, I'll give your advice some deep thought.

Have you done many mods to your '94 ?

My 94 701 has a buttload of mods. It used to out run the 1100 in chop but that may not be the case anymore with my recent 1100 mods. They've been fun but I think it's my last year riding. Raiders are a young mans toy.

The last two times I rode, I find myself wanting a little more out of it after about an hour or so. Today I was thinking maybe get the head milled this winter and tune the carbs for some more fun low end pick up, and shop around for an all around faster ski like you are saying.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by catzodellamarina View Post
    My 94 701 has a buttload of mods. It used to out run the 1100 in chop but that may not be the case anymore with my recent 1100 mods. They've been fun but I think it's my last year riding. Raiders are a young mans toy.
    Hey MadMtnMikey, I may know where you might be able to find a couple for sale in the next few of months.

Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    Hey MadMtnMikey, I may know where you might be able to find a couple for sale in the next few of months.
    Hahaha, I was thinking that !!! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for his posts

Lol.. Don't measure me for a casket yet. I still want to finish this year. Heck, I may pull a Favre!
    I do know that when I go to sell them, it's going to have to be to a crowd like this here or a local motocross kid. My Raiders are for tuners & gearheads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information