Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

dumb question...

is the SC driven by the crank shaft? it appears so based on the parts diagram. if so, is there any way to just get the gear that drives it? or does anyone know how many teeth are on it and it's diameter? once i get an X charger, i'm going to see about putting my stock SC on my 4-wheeler. with the right gear i think it'll be doable. the rotation off the magneto side of the motor is correct, and i think i can mount the SC to the magneto cover, which has dowel pins to locate it, so the tolerances should be dead nuts with it.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like quite the endeavor...it does appear to be one piece. someone with more experience with 4tec could confirm that but 300 bones is steep to just cut off the gear and have it machined down. Things to think about: shortening the SC shaft to meet up with the driveshaft gear, possibly converting to chain drive like that engine or a timing belt. look at motionindustries.com under mechanical power transmission tab. they have alot of stuff that may help in the conversion. hopefully someone can chime in with more exp.

dont know diameter but its 17 teeth

yeah, it'll be an endeavor, but the turbo kits cost about $4-5k and are setup for 6-8 lbs of boost, at a higher RPM. i mud race, so it is rare to get to WOT in 2-4' deep water/mud. having more linear power and not having a lag would be very beneficial. thankfully i own a machine shop, so i can fab up almost anything i need, but i'm going to use as much off the shelf parts as possible. if i can make it work, i'll probably put together a kit. if i can keep the cost, with SC, between $2-3k, they would sell like crazy. a 975 cc bolt on BBK with cams is good for around 110 crank HP for $1950. with head work and a race intak it can get up to around 120-125 crank HP, for another $1500. stock is about 70 crank HP, so if an X charger can get it up to around 150 HP, that would be effin' awesome.

jeff, how sure are you of the 17 teeth? i thought the gear on the SC is 16 teeth?

+1
    There are 17 teeth on the 185 HP. SC gearand 16 teeth on a 215 HP. SC gear.. I would asume yuors would be the 215 H.P. SC.

Cheers

yeah, i have a 215 stock SC that i'm going to replace with an X charger. i figured i'd use the stock SC to fab up a mounting plate and the extended shaft and gear needed to drive the SC. what i'm looking for is the diameter and number of teeth on the gear that drives the SC gear.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    yeah, i have a 215 stock SC that i'm going to replace with an X charger. i figured i'd use the stock SC to fab up a mounting plate and the extended shaft and gear needed to drive the SC. what i'm looking for is the diameter and number of teeth on the gear that drives the SC gear.
    The SC drive gear on the flywheel is right at 7" in diameter & has 87 teeth.

sweet! thanks for the info. i was guessing it was about 80-85 teeth, given the rpm the SC runs at. now i gotta see if i can find an off the shelf gear for it or make my own.

nah, that's the one on the SC'er. i need the one that mates with that. if it is the one i'm thinking of that is part of the crank shaft, it's gonna cost $1300 for the crank shaft, just to cut it off. not really a cost effective way to get a gear for what i'm trying to do. i can make my own or have one custom cut for far less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information