SL750 in the U.K, spark plugs are always really wet

as above, runs well on the hose. just been repaired with many new parts and not put on the water yet. the plugs seem to be really wet. i have rebuilt the carbs and the jetting is set to standard.

compression is 115-120psi on all 3 cylinders.

any help would be great

Quote Originally Posted by jaysjetski View Post
    as above, runs well on the hose. just been repaired with many new parts and not put on the water yet. the plugs seem to be really wet. i have rebuilt the carbs and the jetting is set to standard.

compression is 115-120psi on all 3 cylinders.

any help would be great
    The plugs will get a little wet when just running it for a short time on the trailer. Does it start right up or is it hard starting? 115 is a bit low on compression but did you check it when it was warm or cold?

If everything else is checking out fine right now, you might want to take out for a short run and see how it does.

start straight up. when cold(winter months) needs choke but still starts

+1
    what type and number plug are you running.. it should be BPR8ES by NGK. Your compression is fine. check the gap on the plugs, cut back the wires a 1/4 inch too . look for bright blue sparks on the plugs while cranking when it is grounded to the engine.pull the other off so it doesnt run on ya, yellow is not good. bright blue is what ya want to see.

Didn't add to much oil to the tank did ya? or Are you running the stock oil injection?

when you set the highs....did you take off the little blue covers on the adjsuters? those caps come off and the needle is underneath, that cap only moves so much. you need to take that off, seat the needle gently and turn it out to spec.. pto is the rear ,center and mag is the front cylinder..

all the lows are set the same, the highs all have different settings . check the plugs for looseness too.

sometimes plugs just foul out too.. if they are fouled, they will never be right..

have another set laying around? just a few idea to think about and look at..

over here it recommend to use bpr7es, i have just ordered a new set. arriving tomorrow.(thinking about this these plugs are the original one i got with the ski(over 2 years old at a guess)
    spark gap set to polaris manual, just cut back leads and reseated the carbs without the cover things.
    blue spark when cranking.
    i am running stock oil pump with a tiny amount of premix aswell. im going to remove oil pump due to being a 1994 and not sure on how good it is.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What new parts were added?

Check your carb adjustements for sure.

It's normal for the plugs to come out wet when on the trailer, there's no load on the engine so the fuel requirements are much less than in the water propelling a 500 lb ski with a passanger.

Put her in the water and see what happens.

yeah will do. just waiting on a new exhaust as mine was seized on. had to drill the bolts out and the water chamber was damaged. but hey hopefully get it out next weekend. the part is in my customs dispatched for delivery........

Thread Information