Lake Okeechobee Ride

I ride the Okeechobee Waterway quite a bit around the Ft Myers area and I've been toying around with the idea of organizing a ride to the Lake sometime in Early Sept.

I happened to drive by/around the Western and Southern portion of Lake Okeechobee yesterday on my way from Ft Myers to Palm Beach, and oddly enough, after 4 stops and walking up the big hill, i never actually saw the Lake, just the rim canal. i've lived in Florida 30 years and never have actually seen the lake ... weird...

It did give me an opportunity to do some scouting by car tho for a planned Run from Ft Myers to the Lake via the Caloosahatchee River. However, its pretty much a long relatively straight 50 mile run (no fuel in between) with 2 no wake zones confirmed and two locks. This is from the Franklin Locks in Ft Myers to Roland Martin's Tiki Bar (I mean Marina) in Clewiston. Refuel the 2 smokes in Clewiston, head out to the lake, fart around, top off back in Clewiston and ride home that afternoon. Maybe 130 Miles Round Trip and 6-7 hours on the water. (including miller time)

The 50 miles is sort of the boring part, but with a half a dozen happy riders, we can make it fun. I'd like to ride that dam lake at least once.

Maybe the east coast can ride from Stuart, and the West Coast from Ft myers and we can meet in the middle.

Thoughts ?

+1
    I've ridden from Stuart to the Lake and back a time or 2. It is a long straight run, with only 1 place to stop for fuel in Indiantown, but not needed to get to the lake and back (if just crusing 50-60mph) and NOT on boost. I've never been out on the lake, just turned around at the gates. Maybe could bring extra gas to run out in the lake.....

+1
    Sounds interesting But how the hell would I Tye 5 cans on my ski

There is always a guy with a bigger boat FasstPhilip's Avatar
    I would be proud to carry a couple of them.... If that is not enough, I have a 50' tow rope.

That being said; anyone would be able to carry your 115 pounds or so of body weight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FasstPhilip View Post
    I would be proud to carry a couple of them.... If that is not enough, I have a 50' tow rope.

That being said; anyone would be able to carry your 115 pounds or so of body weight.

I always want to do that ride im in 100% just let me know guys

Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    Sounds interesting But how the hell would I Tye 5 cans on my ski
    lee
    we chatted briefly about that over the phone, I think you could get away with 10 gallons of extra, its just under 50 miles 1 way to fuel at the marina (3.55 a gal) but... not sure if they had high test but we could look into it., did you need 93 ?

+1
    93 and Klotz or she will go booooooooom!

well, Sunday we got bored and headed out for a scout run, the plan was to go from ft myers to Clewiston, we went halfway turned back at Ortona Lock due to weather concerns, didn't want to ride 50 miles back thru the rain.
    Left Franklin Lock about 9:30, after a frustrating 30 minute delay cuz I lost my seadoo Key (in storage bin,, u dummy)

my baby resting up before the ride.

lockmaster was friendly guy but spent more time talking about his miller time coming up than actually "opening the lock" for us.

and we're off...

avoided the speed trap this time (fuggers got me last time for $90)

puffy white clouds that offered us some nice cool shade were starting to turn black, so after a quick phone call for a radar check with wifey (prognosis not good),,, we turned back at the Ortona Lock well short of our goal of Clewiston, but the good news is we saved $100 in fuel

next time , we're sippin cold ones !

Thread Information