Silicone scoope grate?

I got the R&D Scoope grate and pump seal kit. Do I need to use silicone when putting the grate back on and what type silicone should I use if I do?

Thanks,
    Charles

Here is a nice thread of how to do it I would not use 5200 I would use boat life caulk not the 5200 it is too hard too get off if needed. http://www.cajundude.com/pumpshoe.htm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cut2please View Post
    I got the R&D Scoope grate and pump seal kit. Do I need to use silicone when putting the grate back on and what type silicone should I use if I do?

Thanks,
    Charles
    I put a tiny bit in the voids on the grate and in the transom. I put significantly less than the link above.

+1
    I also ordered the R&D grate and plug kit for my FZS. I don't have the grate out yet but after looking at the pictures in the link I don't see what the benefit of the plugs for the shoe are. If it is to reduce cavitation, how can air get into the intake duct if it is submerged in water? I can see the benefit if it seals a leak around the shoe that is above the waterline. To me it just looks like it is sealing some air cavities.

I put mine on tonight with the seal kit. I did not use any silicone. Yamaha did not use any so I figured it would be ok with just the seal kit.

+1
    I only put a bead around the lip where the seal kit goes in. Seals are not sealed in cause they can't fall out. I love my R&D grate!

+1
    Seal it with 4000 or 4200. The pump shoe kit should be used with silicone. I have never seen a racer, in the racing world, not silicone it. You do not want anything before the pump getting into cavities. You want smooth water into the pump.

+1
    Exactly,
    Your not using silicone to hold the peices in place-your using silicone to cut out the air voids and stop airated water entering the pump. sealing with silicone or just placing the bits in makes a huge difference on a gpr-so same principle here with the Fz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Seal it with 4000 or 4200. The pump shoe kit should be used with silicone. I have never seen a racer, in the racing world, not silicone it. You do not want anything before the pump getting into cavities. You want smooth water into the pump.

Thread Information