Battery problems?

hey, i was out on my ski today and i went to start it for the 3rd time of the day, and it really struggled, maybe 5-7 seconds before really started up.. is there a problem with my battery? i recently charged it (3 weeks ago) and this is the second time it has happend, i last rode it two weeks ago .. i know
    any help please?

Question

Is it cranking slow. Battery acid/water level would be my first guess. What`s the water level, what type of charger are you using, what charge rate are you charging at and what`s the time on that charge.
    If you over charge a battery you`ll kill it.
    If the battery is not used on a regular basis it will discharge due to the parasitic load from the ski`s electrical system. A battery tender is the best way to care for batteries. So answer the first 4 questions and we can go from that.

[quote=SHIFT;151207]hey, i was out on my ski today and i went to start it for the 3rd time of the day, and it really struggled, /quote]

Like greenmonster says, "is it cranking" or when you hold the start button there is nothing. Each of these symptons may be related to more than one problem, not just the battery. For example, I was out on the lake with a new battery recently installed and it would not even crank. It turned out to be the starter relay that went bad. Replaced the $38 part myself and have never had a problem since. I was actually shocked that the dealership had these in stock. Made me sort of wonder after that.

The ski was cranking but for like 8 seconds, i didnt notice if it was slower than usual, i gave it some throttle and it eventually started up, i recently checked the water levels are fine, like they were fine the last time this happend. The battery charger is a 3500mA, 12V charger and i charged it for about 6-8 hours, and it indicated the battery was fully charged and i took it off, but i think it was supposed to trickle charge for a few more hours. The battery plugs have been really strange.. about a month ago and also last season i noticed the top of the plug had cracked off, the thread was still screwed in but i took them out and replaced them with plugs that have no holes in the top, it hasnt happend again yet, but i was guessing they were maybe overtightend, i thought it may of been the battery bracket but there is no way that could reach the plugs, but maybe the battery overheated i havnt noticed any warning lights while i was riding though..
    As i think about how it was still cranking, and how the first 2 of the 3 starts were ok it gets me thinking it may not be the battery, considering Red Devil's post.
    thanks

Thumbs up

Sounds like a long crank, no start condition. Some fuel pumps have been know to have check valve failures. This allows pressure to drop and bleed back.
    This will cause a long crank condition before it fires up.
    Fuel pump relay`s can cause the same condition. When you hook the hey up, the pump should prime for 2 seconds. If the relay contacts are corroded it will cause this type of fault too.

Should i get the fuel pump replaced/ fixed? I dont want a unreliable ski as i often travel long distances where there is little mobile phone reception. Will it be fine if i just pump the throttle while trying to start it up, or will i just flatten my battery and get stuck. Would this be a expencive exercise to replace?
    Thanks

You should verify if it`s a relay first.
    Pumps are about 500.00 with labor at the dealers.
    I would not over react to this minor problem.
    How often has this happened. 8 seconds of crank time is not really excessive.
    Just keep tabs on it and monitor how it`s acting. If it starts to get worse then you could start looking into it.
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 10-15-2006 at 02:30 AM.

well i remember landing a small jump and went to give it throttle, it sounded like it was about to stall it didnt do it again but i think i felt a vibration when it happend, i didnt see the rpm when this happend, this may relate to the fuel pump or wear ring. I looked up the intake after i got home and i dont think i saw anything wrong.. the impellar seemed ok and the edges were fine, the wear ring looks like it has evenly taken about .5-1mm along where the impeller slides past, and the drive shaft is partialy rusted
    i dont think it was a big problem but if it means that there is a prob with the fuel pump i might need to replace it
    ill try to get out next weekend and see if it happens again

and again, thanks for the help

Double check all of the fuel lines as well making sure there are no leaks or kinks. Have you for any reason ever removed any of your lines that go to the fuel pump regulator or fuel rail? It just sounds like a small "gremlin" that you just have to track down. A really easy way to check your fuel pump pressure is to splice an inexpensive liquid fuel pressure gauge off of the fuel rail line and see what pressure you are holding while the motor is started. You don't need a fancy expensive one, a $20 gauge from an auto parts store will do just fine. You should be looking for readings of 58 psi. Also, how about your spark plugs, are they in good shape? I have been where you are and you are right, it is no fun being stuck out in the middle of no where for something so minor.

no i have never removed a pump regulator or fuel rail, i will go out this weekend and test if it is still making these problems, i havnt really touched the engine apart from preparing it for winter, and i have only had the 10 and 50 hour services done, im upto 80 now, if its still making problems ill get into a way of fixing it
    thanks

Thread Information