Thread: Gas Valve's plugging the hole
10-14-2006, 09:50 AM #1
Gas Valve's plugging the hole
I am installing Gas valves on my GPR and have seen several methods to plug the hole that is left where the PV shaft was removed. My goal with any project is to be able to go back to the previous state if I need to. Riva includes the brass pipe plugs with their kits This requires altering the hole the PV shaft passes through which I did not want to do. Other methods I have seen use bolts, washers and nylock's then they seal the outside of the hole with silicone. This does not alter the cylinder but looks well you know. I came up with an alternative idea that I borrowed from the carbs. I like the idea of a press fit like used in the plugs for the choke shaft when you remove it. I took some measurements and designed a set awhile back ago never made them now I am ready to do it I re-visited the idea and improved it a little and will make and install a set this week. These can be made from Brass or Aluminum and installed with a little loctite just like the choke shaft blockoffs. I have access to anodizing at work so I will make some aluminum ones and get them colored. I will make a set of brass ones to try first as I need to get on the water next week. I added a threaded hole to the end for removal puposes it can be used as a jack screw to pull the plug out. I also added an o-ring groove to the updated one. I am attaching two drawings I made for this. Enjoy
10-14-2006, 09:56 AM #2
I need to add that original credit for this idea goes to Spud
10-14-2006, 07:23 PM #3
Thanks Bill, but you added the frills. I was just looking for plugs. I ended up doing the nylok nuts and silicone. It doesn't look too bad. The zip ties on the bales look tackier, but they work too.
10-19-2006, 09:05 PM #4
Looks really good. Let us know how they work out. The brain power on this board is truly amazing.
11-01-2006, 02:05 AM #5
Prototypes are installed. First test run this weekend. I used red loctite for insurance do not think I needed it as they were a nice fit. Had to tap in with hammer did not need excessive force. I like the brass look and I have other reasons for sticking with it so I am not going to make the aluminum ones. I would also reccomend to others to use brass. I also altered the o-ring size as metric o-rings are hard to find. I will update print after testing.
11-01-2006, 04:38 AM #6
The brass plugs that come with primer kits fit too.
11-01-2006, 07:25 AM #7
That looks good Bill. Are you assembling now? Maybe a little Saturday action.
11-01-2006, 09:13 AM #8
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM #9
Thanks Duke I will post some info after some water time.
Spud, I still have not received the piston yet only thing holding me up.
Mark, That is what I based this off just added an o-ring seal and threaded hole for removal. my goal is to be able to reverse the process if necessary and maintain a stock un-modified cylinder, With out having to beat it apart.
Last edited by OsideBill; 11-01-2006 at 10:33 AM.
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM #10
Bill, those pieces are really nice.
I would be in for a set if you are going to make more.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By llima in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
By JMZ400 in forum Yamaha Old School SkisReplies: 2Last Post: 04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
By caliburst in forum 2-Stroke PerformanceReplies: 10Last Post: 08-07-2009, 08:20 PM
By ou812 in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 38Last Post: 02-03-2009, 11:02 PM
By Ed in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 8Last Post: 06-30-2005, 05:46 PM