+1

When do you give up on rebuild and just part out?

Was excited to buy my '01 XLT1200 with pv-pin-dropped center cylinder. Thought I'd let the wife continue to ride the '98 XL1200 while I rebuild the '01 then move her up to the newer, faster ski. Thought I'd have to buy a cylinder and one piston along with the gasket kit and incidentals. Turns out another cylinder was slightly scored, add another $250. While I'm in there may as well replace all pistons with OEM, another $240. Metal shavings worked into center crank bearings, another $500. I'm working through the math and wondering if I should just keep going, part it out, or collect cores from everybody, slap it back together and do an SBT swap. Could I get away with three bad cylinders/pistons and a crank with a broken rod in an SBT swap?
    Kind of wanted a "sleeper" XLT that could get to 65 mph when I was through but should I draw the line on this one and look for the next failed-motor XL?
    (You all are probably sick of all my posts by now and will tell me to part out or go the SBT route so you don't have to read any more of my first-time-rebuild questions. LOL.)
    Thanks

+1
    Fixing it is cheaper than buying another ski. If you want a good reliable ski then do it right and rebuild it. Plan on doing the carbs as well.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    I'm in your same boat right now. Ski died, pulled it apart, cleaned up cylinders, put in a set of good used pistions and rings, new gasketts, got ot back together and find out that the crank has issues, now I'm back at square one. New crank should be here today or tomorrow and trying to figure out what I want to and need to replace while it's all apart. It is frustrating and I know exactly how you feel when you just want to scrap it. The only thing about it I can say is if you decide to get it back together, keep in mind that at least now you know exactly whats been done, changed, needs to be done, and will have an idea on where to go if it happens again. Tyr not to focus too much on the cost to fix/ worth of ski ratio. It's a shure way to kill your spirit. Think of it more as whats it worth to YOU to get it back on the water. Good luck.

+1
    Fix it. Been there done that. Plus side is after a few tear downs you get really really good at it I know I did. And if you don't want it fix it anyway and sell it. Parting a ski out is worse trust me.

+1
    Good News! I think the crank is o.k.. After spraying the whole crankshaft with brake cleaner the center bearings now spin the same as the others. I'm thinking the lack of any oil previously caused them to spin "freer" and a tad "louder" than the other bearings. I think I'm going to go ahead and put it back together leaving my crank as is. From what I can gather, Crankworks wants a minimum of $325 just to look at it and that's just too much money to spend for a second opinion. If it turns out to be bad, I'll be that much quicker at tear down and re-assembly as TX21 stated.

SBT isn`t bad....they do offer a year for no matter what. Even if you run it with no oil it`s covered.
    A buddy races an 800seadoo on SBT blocks and no issues. They`ll take the block Only cracked cases need replaced every thing else is ok to be Broke .

Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Good News! I think the crank is o.k.. After spraying the whole crankshaft with brake cleaner the center bearings now spin the same as the others. I'm thinking the lack of any oil previously caused them to spin "freer" and a tad "louder" than the other bearings. I think I'm going to go ahead and put it back together leaving my crank as is. From what I can gather, Crankworks wants a minimum of $325 just to look at it and that's just too much money to spend for a second opinion. If it turns out to be bad, I'll be that much quicker at tear down and re-assembly as TX21 stated.
    Some may not agree with me, but I'd do what you're doing, for what its worth. You definitely don't want to replace "good" parts, but you don't want to reinstall "bad" parts either...it's a fine line...especially when you're on a budget building a rec ski.

Thread Information