+1

Accuracy of smartphone GPS apps

What do you all think about smartphone GPS speedo apps? I have several on my Motorola Droid, and get 1-2 difference depending on the app I am running (before you ask the phone goes into a waterproof phone protector before I make any runs)

My peak speed in my signature is 67.02, using Sportstracklive...It's a really nice app which not only give you peak speed but also: avg. speed, elevation, etc...It even maps out your run on Google Maps so you can see where you just did your speed run. It seems to be the most optimistic of the three...

The other app I've run is Speedview, and it uses 5-10 satellites to fix your GPS location, it gives me the slowest readings...

The other is a simple GPS Speedo and it's right in the middle

Keep in mind we are talking variations between 64-66 MPH for my ski, so they aren't wildly off....the one 67 MPH run was a perfect day with low temps and no humidity...I did get a 66 this past weekend in similar but not quite as good conditions...

I am just wondering, how accurate are these GPS apps? I think they are fairly accurate within a MPH or 2 given the particular app....Does anyone else use them? I want a true Garmin dedicated GPS but cash is a bit tight right now....

Side note, I have used all three to determine that the speedometer in my truck reads about 3 MPH fast, but that's on a smooth interstate with cruise control on, quite a bit different than on the water where little ripples/gas levels/wind can affect speed much more

+1
    I've got no info on how accurate the GPS apps are; I've got to think that they probably don't do very well with peak burst speeds, but probably OK with speeds over a distance.

You can get a good Garmin Forerunner 101 for less than $100 on Amazon. It's perfect for what we need; small, waterproof, works as a speedo, and will store max speed. Strap it to your handlebars, or mount it with velcro.
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun.../dp/B000S6OLHE

+1
    Try Dynomaster. Its a great app you can set the rolling start and it has pocket mode so you can put the phone in the glove box.

http://dynomaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

+1
    I have dynomaster! Duh...never thought to use it for my GPR...I use it all the time with my Pontiac G8, to see if mods I have done to it have made improvements in performance..

As for the other apps....you may be right. The refresh rate may not be fast enough to catch the true peak speed...

I might just get that Garmin

Thread Information