Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Antifreeze & The GPR (For those of us that have to!!)

Over the years, I've gotten tired of getting the antifreeze into my boats for the winter by simply taking a hose off here or there and trying to let gravity do the trick. You never really know if it's getting everywhere it should as it would under normal operation.
    So I said screw this, and made a nice, simple tool for this. I got an old soda canister and hooked it up with some air fittings and a valve. I then made an adapter for the GPR flush kit. Now I just add the antifreeze mixture to the can, throw 20psi or so in there, clamp off the line to the pump feed, (to prevent losing it all out the back) start the engine, and open the valve. About 2 gallons of mixture is what it takes to see come out the exhaust and pissers.
    For all of us that have to winterize, I hope this helps...
    (works great by the way)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Over the years, I've gotten tired of getting the antifreeze into my boats for the winter by simply taking a hose off here or there and trying to let gravity do the trick. You never really know if it's getting everywhere it should as it would under normal operation.
    So I said screw this, and made a nice, simple tool for this. I got an old soda canister and hooked it up with some air fittings and a valve. I then made an adapter for the GPR flush kit. Now I just add the antifreeze mixture to the can, throw 20psi or so in there, clamp off the line to the pump feed, (to prevent losing it all out the back) start the engine, and open the valve. About 2 gallons of mixture is what it takes to see come out the exhaust and pissers.
    For all of us that have to winterize, I hope this helps...
    (works great by the way)

I dont get it? If you flush the ski and blow the water out, why do you then fill it back up and lock water back in with anti freeze. I might be being a bit blonde, but if you have low pressure compressed air, why not blow all the water out and leave it in the garage nice and dry. There is little water in there afterwards, and it is open ended so it would not freeze and pressurize anything.... I am worried as England does get a bit nippy and wont be long before I winterize mine.

GPR1300 '05

I dont get it? If you flush the ski and blow the water out, why do you then fill it back up and lock water back in with anti freeze. I might be being a bit blonde, but if you have low pressure compressed air, why not blow all the water out and leave it in the garage nice and dry. There is little water in there afterwards, and it is open ended so it would not freeze and pressurize anything.... I am worried as England does get a bit nippy and wont be long before I winterize mine.

GPR1300 '05

most of our skis keep a bit of water in them, they are not self draining,so even if you have started your engine on the trailer after your ride , there is still a bit of water left in them.
    so the best way to protect those components is to put antifreeze(not pre-mix) as antifreeze will not freeze in cold temperture.
    same way as a radiator in your car will not freeze in cold temp.
    its a safe and cheap way to protect your ski in the winter months.
    hope this helps a bit.

Red face

ok, now i get it went through manual,assumed that the several blips on the trailer after flushing got rid of all the water from the boat even the heads, see i am a true blonde, am i right in thinking use neat yamaha anti freeze after the flush before you store for winter... do i blip the engine to spit a lot of the anti freeze out or just kill engine and leave in there,god on wonder this is a mans sport, got loads to learn and glad you guys are there

+1
    Ya ever notice after a days ride, you start it up and blow the water out, seems like a lot of water comes out right? Well, after sitting for a couple of days, go back and dry start it, give it a couple of quick blasts, the water just pukes out again, and I mean a lot!!! The GPR has got the waterbox, and that huge watertank in there after the waterbox. Of course all the hoses and the engine as well

Anyhow, the beauty of it is, you don't need to totally replace the water with antifreeze, you just need to make sure you get the antifreeze through the whole system. As long as there is antifreeze in there with the water, that's fine. The system doesn't need to be dry, you just need to be sure that what is left in there can't freeze.

The reason I like the pressurized canister is because it's feeding the antifreeze mixture to every single place the pump would as though you were riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Ya ever notice after a days ride, you start it up and blow the water out, seems like a lot of water comes out right? Well, after sitting for a couple of days, go back and dry start it, give it a couple of quick blasts, the water just pukes out again, and I mean a lot!!! The GPR has got the waterbox, and that huge watertank in there after the waterbox. Of course all the hoses and the engine as well

Anyhow, the beauty of it is, you don't need to totally replace the water with antifreeze, you just need to make sure you get the antifreeze through the whole system. As long as there is antifreeze in there with the water, that's fine. The system doesn't need to be dry, you just need to be sure that what is left in there can't freeze.

The reason I like the pressurized canister is because it's feeding the antifreeze mixture to every single place the pump would as though you were riding it.
    thanks,my bubble has also been burst with laying up engine,ive was told to remove plugs, spray lay up oil into hole replace plugs and crank.... which ive just been told does nothing for the crank as its pushed straight out the exauhast port...how do you do yours...mine is wrong...please help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamigirl View Post
    thanks,my bubble has also been burst with laying up engine,ive was told to remove plugs, spray lay up oil into hole replace plugs and crank.... which ive just been told does nothing for the crank as its pushed straight out the exauhast port...how do you do yours...mine is wrong...please help
    I'm with you Girl. The anti-freeze threw me.

The owners manual says "remove plugs and add 1 tbsp of two-stroke oil, bump the starter". Yes, this will lube the crank.

+1
    As a Seadoo owner I'm used to adding ~1qt. of anti freeze(undiluted) to the cylinders.

I never worried about the exhaust/waterbox because the volume of the chamber is much greater than the volume of the water trapped. At worst, you'll have a chunk of ice sliding around inside.

Red face lay up

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    I'm with you Girl. The anti-freeze threw me.

The owners manual says "remove plugs and add 1 tbsp of two-stroke oil, bump the starter". Yes, this will lube the crank.
    thats what i thought adding down plug hole but now i have found out that it only goes out exhaust port when cranked and none of the lube will ever see the crank...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    As a Seadoo owner I'm used to adding ~1qt. of anti freeze(undiluted) to the cylinders.

I never worried about the exhaust/waterbox because the volume of the chamber is much greater than the volume of the water trapped. At worst, you'll have a chunk of ice sliding around inside.
    While I agree with that to some extent, the reason I like doing it my way is twofold:

1) It actually winds up being easier now that the adaptor is all set... very, very simple.

2) It assures me that I'm getting freeze protection everywhere that water goes as if the boat were being operated. Just think of all the little lines leading to your bypasses and cylinder drains and such. I just want to make sure that none of those little hoses rupture, possibly filling my boat on my first spring ride. Just personal piece of mind, that's all. When I'm done, I know that any spot that had water is now protected 100%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information