Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about 98 GTI

Hey there,

OK so I have a 98 GSXL and a 98 GTI. I used to have a 96 SPX. The motor was blown on the GTI, we replaced it with a brand newly rebuilt 720. I ran it for 18 hours with extra oil in the gas, babied it and all. It was kinda boggy and sluggish, but I would expect that. Now, its not in breakin anymore. I running the seadoo mineral oil (thats what my buddy put in and I didnt feel like dumping it to change over to syn yet) The machine is not really bogging down anymore. I know I need to clean the carbs and change fuel lines ect. That will be done this weekend. The problem is, it seems to take FOREVER to plain! It is almost like the engine is running weak. It will top out at 45mph but it will take a while to get there. No bog, no surge, just constant low power. I put a new pump in it off a 97 GTX because towing my broken down GSXL with 2 adults on it blew the bearings apart (pics to follow lol)

Sooooo I had a 96 SPX, it had the 720 in it, 85hp etc... Same setup as the GTI, right?? The SPX was a fast machine! It got to 50mph quickly and it was fun. Should the GTI with the same motor be so slow to get to top speed? It is not slipping of cativating, mind you.

Am I just used to the power of the 951 in my GSXL? Is the GTI really just a slow ass machine that takes 20-30 seconds on glass to hit 45?

Could it just be that it's not getting enough gas and the fuel system needs to be rebuilt? Again, there is no bog or surge here.

I just picked up the GTI for my wife a few weeks ago and havent had time to go through the fuel system, which I fully plan on doing as it has the tempo lines. BUT, is the machine acting like it should?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ccstamoulis View Post

Am I just used to the power of the 951 in my GSXL? Is the GTI really just a slow ass machine that takes 20-30 seconds on glass to hit 45?

BUT, is the machine acting like it should?
    yes it is a slow ass machine and acting like it should. the power to weight ratio is vastly skewed comparing a GTI to a SPX. you should still do the fuel system cleaning.

Dryweight on the SPX is 370lbs on the GTI its 371

They weight the same, the hull is MUCH bigger on the GTI.. Is the hull design just garbage? There doesnt seem to be any benefit to the size of that thing.

I actually wake boarded off of it a couple times, it takes FOREVER to get out the water! I know, I will burn another pump doing that, but it's fun while it lasted and something I normally dont do.

I might rebuild the fuel system, winterize it and sell it in the spring with 30 hours on it. Are there any decent 3 seater 2 strokers that SD made? Or all like that GTI?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    a GTX with a 951 is a much stronger ski, pretty quick too. Id sell it and get a stronger ski to hang with the GSXL

2 skis with 951's? My head hurts already! Might make sense tho. I like the 720 engine, easy to work on and cheap parts. The 951 is a mutha **** to work on with the exhaust (already replaced gasket 2 times grrrr) I hate how it sits in there sideways too!

Anyway, the GSXL goes no where.. It is mine mine mine

I have a 96 GTI for pulling tubes, it gets up and goes and hits 47 mph on the dream gage just as fast today as 14 years ago. Sounds like a carb or pump issue??

Also have a 97.5 GSXL too with the white motor that runs like a raped ape, had them both on the water last week. They are both awesome machines with no motor problems for 14 and 12 years knock on wood !! Just burned up a heck of alot of fuel over the years.

UPDATE!

So, I am just about done rebuilding the fuel system on the GTI - all lines replaced, carb rebuilt. When I went to pull the carb off - it was loose! Pretty much detached from the block , The two bolts were in but barely even finger tight!

So I am guessing tooooooo much air was getting in considering it was bouncing around!

Looks like I need to finish up and toss in the water. I already fired it up and sounded different to me. Sounded like it was running mean and would rev higher rpms. Maybe I am just reaching here and hoping but I have a solid hunch it will run MUCH better with the carb attached and tightened down

+1
    When you put the 97 GTX pump on did you put the GTI impeller in it or just install the pump complete with GTX impeller ?

I know where your going with that.. The pitch is what? a degree off? It ran like crap since I bought it, well before replacing the whole pump. It is on my list of things to do - swap impellers out, but that little difference is not what is causing it to be a slow pile of crap... it is all together now, I am on my way out the door to toss it in the river and see how it runs

+1
    My GSI was a dog when I bought it, after about a year of checking this that and everything else it turned out the prop was too steep and it didn't have enough power to get it spinning. After a new correctly pitched impeller it was a completely different ski to ride.

Try the original GTI impeller and see if it makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information