Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

$3000 to blow/invest on a fzs!

After reading hundreds of posts, and generally confusing myself....... i have $3k give or take to speed up my fzs - its totally standard at present.

How colse to 80 can i go without giving up pick-up?

And what bits should i buy?!?!?

HELP!

If I were going to start my build again and wanted some serious gain and had about $3000 US to spend, I would just fit a Motec ECU( with a base map from Motec) and a manifold ribbon remover. I have heard of stock skis running around 74-75 with this.
    You will probally need to spend near this sort of $ on bolt ons anyway to get the same performance but will need to do some prop pitching to keep off the limiter but then this will probally kill the bottom/mid range a little bit. As I found out in my build.
    You then have the modding world at your feet with futher mods down the track like wheels etc.

Ignition first mate start with good foundations before building the building (motec, vipec,) if you want a ski to go past 75 in the future and be running and behaving nice, before lots of bolt ons unless you want to keep it at about stage 1 kit with about 3-4 mile gain. Maybe get over 70 with stage 1.
    You would not be blowing the money come time to sell the ski as you can simply unplug the Motec and take it with you and plug the stock ECU back in and sell the ski. The ecu will probally last your riding days out, so its a good investment IMHO.

When trying for 80 mate you are going to need ECU changes (Motec/Vipec or one of the R2 reflashes) and lots of bolt ons.
    I started my ski wth lots of bolt ons first including upgrading the wheel and it went around 73 but these skis suck to ride as the stock limiters get really annoying at any mods above stage 1 kit. If you start putting bigger wheels in then you will be battling the limmiters all the time and lets face it once you get a taste of the potential power of these skis then you will probally want more down the track when money or needs take over. I had to do the ECU to Motec after heaps of bolt ons and then the ski became a whole new machine and is a joy to ride and exhilerating at the same time. Runs 78 at 13psi boost and other mods. Getting over 80 takes heaps of work/mods/money.

I am just new to this stuff but its fun learning and others with way more experience will probally set you straight with a build to suit you budjet.

+1
    Thank you, thats actually the last think i would have thought to do - but it does make sense! And the big expense would be over first, so after that its all less $$s to spend. And taking it off later is also a good idea, as i assume i can get it reprogrammed for any Yamaha that i may buy in the future.

Thanks for taking the time!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalef10ods View Post
    After reading hundreds of posts, and generally confusing myself....... i have $3k give or take to speed up my fzs - its totally standard at present.

How colse to 80 can i go without giving up pick-up?

And what bits should i buy?!?!?

HELP!
    Motec (and yes I'm totally biased, sorry Vipec gang lol). Then get into motecpete's ear for a personal tune or learn to do it yourself.
    Ribbon removal
    Stay with stock exhaust but just do the mod to it (No parts for that one).
    Stay with stock air intake (safe in ocean riding and you can always change/update later)
    Shim rideplate to get speed and correct bouncing (Takes time)
    Tune/pitch in your prop (takes time)

After that you can start using all the bolt-on stuff you feel you need, intercooler and re-plumbing, air intake, rear exhaust, head, cams, rods, pistons, balancing, 21+ wheels, race fuel, knock sensors, valvetrains, stud kits, lightened crankshafts, lightened clutch gears, trued and balanced clutch assemblies, ballbearing supercharger shafts, supercharger clutch mods, magnum pump assemblies, setback props, twin props, modded hulls, oh and safety first........aftermarket scoop grate so you don't buck at 69.

Did I miss anything??

The stock ecu will just hold you back. Sky's the limit.

And you won't loose pickup with any of it........not that you'll notice.

Oh, I forgot luckily Gunna mentioned it, put one of the scoop grates on before anything so you don't risk been bucked. You may need to add an extra cooling line like the R&D one if your modding but living in the UK you probally be OK, the motec data will tell you your temps anyway and you can go from there.

Yep, send motec pete an email, he was very helpfull to me, you may have a dealer in the UK if not send Motec an email, you can get the ECU with a stock base map and you will be fine and when you put the bigger wheels in later or other futher mods like intercoolers Pete from motec can email you an upgrade file to suit. Plug into ECU from laptop down load file in 5 seconds and go riding also idf you get the Motec get the data log cable so after rides you can see all sorts of things on graphs like temps,throttle,revs,boost So easy.

The M400 Motec can be used on any future 4 cylinder motors you may get including other brands of skis, so its a good investment and from what I have been told they sell really easy if you decide to get rid of it. Have fun.

+1
    I did the basic stuff first (grate, intake manifold upgrade, exhaust and air intake) then I got the motec next. The motec is by far the best thing I have done to the ski. Next was cooling upgrades, intercooler, E1 wheel......the rest can be read at the bottom in my signature. I don't even know if its updated cause I'm always playing around with stuff. Get the ecu and then the sky is the limit. Cheaper alternative is the stock ecu reflash. People are getting good results with it and it is a lot cheaper. If I had the whole thing to do over again.....I would still get the motec!

+1
    I have an opinion.

And if I had it all to do over again I would still do the reflash and keep an extra couple grand in my pocket. A reflash will wake the ski up the same way a Motec does.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I have an opinion.

And if I had it all to do over again I would still do the reflash and keep an extra couple grand in my pocket. A reflash will wake the ski up the same way a Motec does.

and to come in at under the $3k ish mark, along with the reflash ($750 i think) what other bits would you invest in??

My recommendation -

Intake grate
    ECU Reflash (R1?)
    Mild S/C Wheel upgrade (Riva B1?)
    BOV
    Intake manifold ribbon upgrade
    Intake/Exhaust upgrade
    Rideplate (VX?)
    Proper Impeller (Something like a 13/22R)
    Sponsons of your choice
    Custom Seat Cover

+1
    What you should notice is that no matter which path you choose and what things you do to this ski, you will love it! You are at the fun part now....which path to choose. If you are only going to spend 3K in mods and then be done, obviously the reflash will be more beneficial. If 3k is just a start, I'd go with the aftermarket ecu. So many other things can be done with the ecu's. Let us know how it progresses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information