Deep Grooves in middle cylinder of 2000 Ultra

The last time i took out my ultra was about 2 weeks ago. Ran great all day, but just as i was pulling up to my friend's condo ski turned off on it's own abruptly. Tried to start but the battery was having a hard time turning engine over. Let it sit for a while hung out at the pool. When i was ready to get it out of the water i had a hard time getting it started. I ended up priming it alot to get it started again. Idled back to the ramp, never put it under any load. When i was flushing it out i looked above the pump to make sure the two cooling lines there were flowing ok but only one was. So i cut everything off and was going to try and unclog it the next day. When i got to it there was no obstruction. So put it on the hose and all lines were cooling fine. For what ever reason i thought to do a compression test and I got 110, 10, 110 for readings. Pulled the head off and i found some deep grooves/scratches near one of the ports. Did i snag a ring? I have learned alot by reading other threads especially "How to remove a cylinder head" so im going to go off of that but i just want to know what happened here and have a few other questions that i might have along the way. I like to do my own repairs but have never opened up an engine before any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post better pics later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultrac1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	208777  

most likely the locator pin came out and the ring rotated and got caught in the port.

Thread Information