Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xpl speed

xpl speed

Hey there! I recently purchased a 98 xpl and I'm very satisfied with it. I clocked it on gps at 56mph at about 6850rpm. This was pretty calm water and trimmed up all the way. I would like to get it just over 60mph and I'm wondering what I can do without any major mods to achieve this. Thanks!

+1
    congrats or you purchase and welcome to GH. you should be closer to 60ish. xpl's are faster in the chop as it help to get the nose out of the water more. play around with the trim to see where its fastest. mine is one klick above level (on the gauge).i dont think that will get you 4mph back so make sure your wear ring is in good shape.

Yea, I've felt it pull harder on other occasions with a little more chop. I usually trim higher so ill how it feels a bit lower. This winter ill be replacing the wear ring as well as the grey lines

+1
    trust me on this one, change the fuel lines now. it should only take you 3 hours to do it and it will save your motor. take the carbs off and clean them. you can then rebuild them over winter.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    yes replace the fuel lines now, clean the fuel selector and rebuild the carbs, or else you WILL be replacing the engine this winter.

Well..it seems the grey fuel lines have already gotten the best of me(I'm guessing). The day after you guys posted about changing the lines, I took her out and let my cousin take it for 5 minutes. He came back and it was running on one cylinder. I thought it was plugs, but changed them. I don't have a compression gauge yet, but I plugged the hole with my finger and bother cylinders felt the same. I dont think it's ignition because I tried the wire going to the good cylinder and still no fire. The plug is 3/4 covered in oil. The old plug I took out was white(lean). I am hoping it did not sieze and scar the wall. I am also hoping I just have clogged carb. Any ideas? Whats the easiest way to remove the carbs?

+1
    start with the fuel lines and the carbs as you already know it is an issue. change the lines (one at a time!!). drop the carbs and clean away. put them back on and see what it does.

it would be a good idea to pick up a compression tester ($30 at most auto stores). it will help tell you what damage is done.

I imagine you have to take the exaust manifold off to get to the carbs? Also 1/4in automotive hose(25ft) with 15 or so hose clamps sound about right for the fuel lines?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    no exhaust stays, to remove carbs.

plus you have to remove the carbs first if you ever want to remove the exhaust

+1
    Should be 20ft of 5/16" and 6 ft of 1/4". Use 1/4" on the return.

For the carbs, remove the oil tank, then the air box. There are four Alena head bolts on the body of the carbs and a small one on the side of the pipe. Drop the carbs down and slide them out the front of the nose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information