Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

I CANNOT figure out the venting issue I have with the TBM FUEL CELL!

This may be a long one so bare with me....
    I am having a venting problem with the TBM fuel cell. I went for a ride to test the tank, ended up shriveling the main tank, and the TBM tank would not empty completely (1 1/2 gallons remained). Pulled the ski out and decided to try taking one of the check valves on the vent line off (the ball check valve specifically) to see what the hell would happen. This is not a good idea- I ended up with gas in the water separator AND gas coming out the vent. On top of that, no gas ever transferred between the TBM tank and the main tank. I had a full TBM tank and 7 gallons gone out of the main tank, with a shriveled up main tank. There certainly should be enough vacuum to 'pull' the gas from the TBM tank, no? I guess not. But, the gas in the TBM tank was able to find its way out into the water separator and out the vent??????
    So, the ball check valve that I removed must be in place as this must stop gas from going out the vent. From what I've gathered (thanks to abracadabra) the two check valves must remain vertical in order to work properly. Okay, I got that.
    I have checked all lines. There are no kinks, no blockages, the feed line and the vent line are hooked up correctly, the 'quick connects' are working properly. I have checked, re-checked and re-checked everything. The last thing I'm going to try is to order the 2010 FZR vent check valve, which there is only ONE of (instead of two on the 2009), and see if that works. If it doesn't work the TBM tank is getting shelved and I'll be taking the $450.00 loss for something that I can't get to work.

Am I missing something here? This sure seems like a pretty simple set-up!

Sorry for the ramble, don't know if any of this makes sense....I'm just frustrated as hell.

+1
    i realy don't know where you have, or what has gone wrong but
    when i fitted my tbm tank , i followed there instructions (very simple) and it has worked perfect since day one (my ski is a 2010 fzs)
    i have also filled both tanks (main and tbm) to the top the night before a ride
    and had no fuel enter the vent line at all
    just a thought if fuel is venting out the vent line, the feed line may be blocked (kinked ,blockage,conection failure)
    that would cause the main tank to suck in like you are saying
    and as the fuel heats up in the tbm tank it will start to come out the vent line as there is no where else for it to go

kev

+1
    i just reread your first post
    and it sounds like it worked for a litle while when first installed
    there may be a blockage in the tank
    i would remove the fitting from the botom of the tank and check it

kev

+1
    I would revert all the plumbing back to original and see if you still have a problem. Yes/No

If yes, work on the original venting system.

If no, remove aux tank plumbing and blow thru tubes with compressed air then run a soft wire to see if there's anything hidding in there. Especially check any elbow connectors.

Let us know what happens.

It's probably a bit of silicon gone fat with petrol, or crappy fuel from a jerrycan or budget pump station.

+1
    I installed my TBM aux tank in the hotel parking lot in Gonzalez, LA the day before my first Mudbug ride. I followed the instructions and was o-mazed when my main tank was all shriveled-up like a prune when I got something out of the front during the ride.

My tank hasn't vented since I installed it. In the short term, I've dealt with it by cracking the fuel cap whenever I think about it and am going slow enough. I've been meaning to go with Gunnna's method of troubleshooting--remove the TBM tank, put lines back to stock and see if things work like they should. I've just not made time to do this. Maybe that's because I really think they will work fine.

Honestly, I am surprised that some have had issues and some have not. Is it possible that the 2010's are plumbed differently than the 2009's? I would like to know if anyone besides abracadabra, gmoeller and myself have had vent problems after installing one of these.

I must say I loved riding with others without an aux tank and not having to ever conserve gas.

+1
    FX160 and Gunna,
    Thanks for taking the time to post. I really appreciate your feedback.

I guess I will have to get my hands dirty....
    I have it back to original or stock now (almost). I have connected the vent line to the TBM feed line (or the original vent line) on the main tank. I will inspect the brass elbow at the Fuel Cell though I know its working cause when I connect the two together (the vent and feed line) I can hear the gas dripping thru. I can also blow thru the line going into the main tank, so thats good.
    I have much thicker fuel and vent lines coming off the TBM tank than what it came with. A few rides ago I somehow ended up with a tear in the feed line, right at the elbow of the tank. I put much thicker fuel line to prevent it from happening again. I also got beefier quick connects as the ones it came with seemed a bit fragile (and "no", I don't think this is the problem). These lines are about 18" long. I'm wondering if I could run this same thicker fuel line to the main tank so that I don't have to worry about kinks or something pinching the line? I mean, the outer diameter thickness of the fuel line has nothing to do with anything, right?.... just a bit paranoid.

I'll keep at it. And thanks for your input. I know this SEEMS elementary....!

Gary

If I could only remember not to forget the things I forgot to remember to remember....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Honestly, I am surprised that some have had issues and some have not. Is it possible that the 2010's are plumbed differently than the 2009's? I would like to know if anyone besides abracadabra, gmoeller and myself have had vent problems after installing one of these.
    Other than there being two check valves on the 2009 and one on the 2010, no difference.

I ordered the 2010 check valve today....it can't hurt!

+1
    just as a test
    disconnect the vent line from the tbm tank
    and just run a hose from it open to the atmosphere
    then see if the main tank sucks fuel from the tbm tank without shriveling up
    i think there has to be a blockage somwhere
    as i'm guesing the check valves in the vent line were working before you added the tbm tank
    and so they should have no impact now

kev

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    just as a test
    disconnect the vent line from the tbm tank
    and just run a hose from it open to the atmosphere
    then see if the main tank sucks fuel from the tbm tank without shriveling up
    i think there has to be a blockage somwhere
    as i'm guesing the check valves in the vent line were working before you added the tbm tank
    and so they should have no impact now

kev
    +1.... I took the ball valve off the vent line, which is how I ended up with gas coming out the vent. I don't know what the other check valve does cause it flows both ways, so I essentially ran the ski "open to the atmosphere". There HAS to be blockage somewhere in the feed line and I will follow all suggestions above.
    Thanks for talking this out with me. It gives me much more clarity as to what my "issue" could be and understanding how all this stuff works.

Gary

+1
    one other thing i thought of is
    when your tank is sucking in like a prune take the seat off and check the fuel lines back to the tbm tank
    as they should be sucked in as well ,from where the blockage is.
    might make it easyer to find

kev

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information