RXT-X....is the pump tunnel issue a deal breaker?

I love the look of the 2008 RXT-X and I have found a great deal of one, but I am still concerned about the future with the pump tunnel issues. Does anybody have an idea as to what percent of the RXT-X skis are affected? Can I do a preventative fix to avoid flying over the handlebars??? I just don't want to buy it and have this issue later. I don't mind spending some money now to avoid a future ejection of my son off the jet ski and a possible broken leg or worse. I really want to buy the RXT-X but I keep talking myself out of it. Any advise or help is greatly appreciated.....THANKS!

+1
    Just figure all and then fix it. You won't regret it. Especially if you are getting a good deal on one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbatts View Post
    I love the look of the 2008 RXT-X and I have found a great deal of one, but I am still concerned about the future with the pump tunnel issues. Does anybody have an idea as to what percent of the RXT-X skis are affected? Can I do a preventative fix to avoid flying over the handlebars??? I just don't want to buy it and have this issue later. I don't mind spending some money now to avoid a future ejection of my son off the jet ski and a possible broken leg or worse. I really want to buy the RXT-X but I keep talking myself out of it. Any advise or help is greatly appreciated.....THANKS!
    Getting ejected is NOT the issue! The issue is stress fractures in the pump tunnel, that can eventually rupture, cause hull to fill up with water and sink. This is only a problem on 2008-2009 RXT-X 255 ski's.

If you are willing to take everything out of the pump tunnel area and reinforce it properly you should be fine. It requires giving the pump tunnel a "labotomy" filling the void with resin and fiberglass/carbon fiber, then adding 4-5 layers of carbon fiber/ woven fiberglass over the entire pump tunnel and sides from front to the rear transom. Anything less it will crack and fail again.

It cost my dealer $1500 BOTH times to repair my 08 T-X! There are over 25 Hulk members with this same issue....

If you are not willing or able to reinforce the tunnel - then IMO walk away!

My advice, get any other ski with the S-3 hull, better performing, composite material, and NO reported hull issues!!

Good Luck

Thanks for the input. I know this is a Seadoo forum, but there are 2 skis........within $100 of each other. 2008 RXT-X with 26 hours or a 2009 Yamaha FZS with 13 hours.....neither one has a warranty. I just figured with the pump tunnel issues I might go for the Yamaha, but still unsure....I prefer the RXT-X but don't want issues down the road.

+1
    Dont kid yourself all ski's have issues. Check out the cracked FZ ski's over on the Yamaha side

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbatts View Post
    Thanks for the input. I know this is a Seadoo forum, but there are 2 skis........within $100 of each other. 2008 RXT-X with 26 hours or a 2009 Yamaha FZS with 13 hours.....neither one has a warranty.
    That's easy; no warranty? Pass on both. Like I already told you (several times) -- it won't cost you that much more to find one with a warranty!

Banned User
    +1
    Find a used one, with a B.E.S.T. warranty. I believe those are transferable. I got one, but really haven't had to use it. How the hell do you break these things??
    My tunnel was repaired by Seadoo, and the only thing they didn't fix, where the spider cracks in the gel coat in the tunnel. Since those really don't affect anything, and would have been a major PITA to re-do, I suspect they just left them alone. So far, they have remained exactly the same, with no chipping or any other problems.
    Ski still runs exactly the same mph as when it was new, and now has well north of 160 hours on it.

Thread Information