Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

replace impeller

Hi I have a SL 780, one question, can I use the driveshaft and the Coupler as a impeller remove tool?

Quote Originally Posted by birdgod View Post
    Hi I have a SL 780, one question, can I use the driveshaft and the Coupler as a impeller remove tool?
    I wouldn't. You could damage the slpines on the shaft as well as inside the coupler and impeller. You can get a Solas tool for about $10.00.

+1
    I had bought a new 6 vain stator that I needed for my stock pro 785 it came with an impeller I would never use, I put the stator stub end onto a bench vice and put a big C clamp on the impeller and used a breaker bar and it came right off, and whith out damaging the impeller,
    then I took the old stator out of my pro, but this time I didnt want to mess up the impeller and I used the same vice but used my shaft with a 20inch pipe wrench, it came right off, and I took a little file and smoothed down the little bur it left, I made sure I put the pipe wrench in a place on the shaft that wasent going to be near the thru hull fitting,

Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    I had bought a new 6 vain stator that I needed for my stock pro 785 it came with an impeller I would never use, I put the stator stub end onto a bench vice and put a big C clamp on the impeller and used a breaker bar and it came right off, and whith out damaging the impeller,
    then I took the old stator out of my pro, but this time I didnt want to mess up the impeller and I used the same vice but used my shaft with a 20inch pipe wrench, it came right off, and I took a little file and smoothed down the little bur it left, I made sure I put the pipe wrench in a place on the shaft that wasent going to be near the thru hull fitting,
    I like the C-Clamp idea on a bad impeller but if it slips off you could possibly get injured. The other method with the pipe wrench didn't cause you concern on bending the shaft at all or causing any damage to the splines?

I guess if they are loose enough there would not be much to worry about with these methods but if it is still on there at 110 ft. lbs. I would think there would be a chance of damaging the splines on the end of the shaft because of the force used to get it off not being distributed equally.

+1
    not sure about using the coupler although it does have flats on it.

get an old shaft and bent it 90- degrees with a torch,. Now you have 3 tools. impellor removal tool and engine turning tool or engine stop for flywheel.

Put stub shaft in vice, use your new tool and viola!, it's off.. tape the end where you hold it so you dont cut yourself on the splined end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post

get an old shaft and bent it 90- degrees with a torch,. Now you have 3 tools. impellor removal tool and engine turning tool or engine stop for flywheel.

Put stub shaft in vice, use your new tool and viola!, it's off.. tape the end where you hold it so you dont cut yourself on the splined end.
    ok, i think i better play it safe to use a $10 tool, just hate to wait for it to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by birdgod View Post
    ok, i think i better play it safe to use a $10 tool, just hate to wait for it to come.....
    I got mine from Denniskirk.com and it came in 3 days but I guess it depends on where it is shipping to. These other guys may know of another place you can get one right away. I would think that any ski dealer would have them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post

I love this idea Tom. I have an old shaft to use but it is the long one. I would rather use one of the shorter shafts to do this. I think Keith is using an old shaft on his instructional video on jet pump removal on the site. I don't know if it was bent though. You can't tell in the video.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    ...I think Keith is using an old shaft on his instructional video on jet pump removal on the site. I don't know if it was bent though. You can't tell in the video.
    I have a short section of a cut down drive shaft with a hex nut welded onto the end.

I was using that because I couldn't find my genuine impeller removal tool. Not sure where it got to

+1
    Thats a good idea too keith! the only thing with the driveshaft....is that the splines are different sizes for the engine and the impellor. so you cant make 2 impellor tools from it.

If you need that thing off today, just take some wood and jam it in the impellor housing, hold onto the pump and put a cresent wrench on the stub shaft and smack hard a few times with a 3lb sledge. i got mine off that way in a pinch. you need to pin down the pump so when you hit the wrench, the pump doesnt move..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information