Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1

GPR 1300 Wakeboard / Ski Tower (now for sale)

See photos below if you do not understand anything I'm saying.....

I put a hook on my GPR for towing tubes or wakeboarders.

So I went out to enjoy a day with the family (I have no kids, but I have a ton of nieces and nephews). I hooked up the rope to the tube with a 60' tow rope. My brother in law rode the tube first and had a blast. Then we put two small kids on the tube, and every time the tube would submarine. The tow rope was too low, and the kids did not weigh enough to put weight on the back of the tube.

So I pondered on this, and what to do until my GTX motor is rebuilt. We are relying on the GPR for the family fun dayz at the beach.

This is what I came up with (see photos). I used 5/8" hardened steel rod for the frame. Two self locking hitch pins, and one 1/4 - 20 by 1 1/2 bolt with nut. I also used four 1/2" fender washers, and about 30 minutes on the welder.

I will give it a try hopefully on Sunday if I can make it too the beach.. It's going to be a busy weekend, so I'll try it nlt than next week I hope.
    Last edited by wreckingball; 09-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.

+1
    how much slop is in the connection under the grab rail? can it come forward and hit the ski? or will the loop stop it? I see the back of the ski getting beat up by this. Also what is inside supporting the loop? if it is not heavily reinforced you may have another issue. I added a wakeboard pole to me SUV and it is amazing how much leverage that thing can make. I have 1/4 aluminum plate bolstering all my connection points and I made them as large as the area would allow to help distribute the stress. I used marinetex to adhere them to the hull.

hmmm interesting never seen a gpr pull a tube. Great idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    how much slop is in the connection under the grab rail? can it come forward and hit the ski? or will the loop stop it? I see the back of the ski getting beat up by this. Also what is inside supporting the loop? if it is not heavily reinforced you may have another issue. I added a wakeboard pole to me SUV and it is amazing how much leverage that thing can make. I have 1/4 aluminum plate bolstering all my connection points and I made them as large as the area would allow to help distribute the stress. I used marinetex to adhere them to the hull.
    I put a 1/4" G10 plate on the back side and secured it with fast cure 5200 sealant. Until a year ago, all I did was work on yachts, so I had access to any type of fiberglass or composite materials. And there is no slop. It all fits like a glove. The front connection is held tight by the bolt and can not move up and down because the rear points are locked in.
    Last edited by wreckingball; 09-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.

+1
    Tower works perfect! .... For kids.

Put 2 adults on the tube, and the pull force on the tower brings the nose of the ski out of the water. (Picture a stand up ski at full throttle, going nowhere. One adult if they are under 150 is ok. One adult who weighs 185 was the limit of the tower, and actually was better without the tower.)
    Last edited by wreckingball; 09-23-2011 at 03:36 PM.

why didn't you try to tie the tow rope to the back of sit handle. it will work better, i already tried

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miken View Post
    why didn't you try to tie the tow rope to the back of sit handle. it will work better, i already tried
    You should read the post I started the thread with. I would clip the tow rope to the as hook I installed, and even route it so it went over the rear grab handle. Maybe it's the style of tube I have. I don't know.

But read the first post.

Joe

+1

+1
    My GTX is up and running. I'll sell the tower to anyone who makes an offer and pays for the shipping. Weighs about 8 pounds. I'd probably just take it to UPS with only corner pads and stick a shipping sticker on it. Shipping from 92117

+1
    Very illegal, ski must have rated seating for driver, passenger, and skier. That's why you don't see specific tow hooks on 2 seaters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information