Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sudden power loss

I have a 2006 vx deluxe with 330 hours. Its been running just fine until the second run of the day, my nephew returned at putter speed. He annonced that it "just quit running right".
    I can't get the rpms above about 5500. It has no power, is sluggish, kind of sputtering at idle, like it wants to quit. It won't go more than about 20 mph.
    I got it home, changed the plugs. It seemed to idle better, but when I hit the gas again it had the same problem. Then back at idle, it sputtered again.
    I forgot to mention that we checked to see if he sucked anything up,and couldn't see anything.
    Whats your advice?
    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by arctica View Post
    I have a 2006 vx deluxe with 330 hours. Its been running just fine until the second run of the day, my nephew returned at putter speed. He annonced that it "just quit running right".
    I can't get the rpms above about 5500. It has no power, is sluggish, kind of sputtering at idle, like it wants to quit. It won't go more than about 20 mph.
    I got it home, changed the plugs. It seemed to idle better, but when I hit the gas again it had the same problem. Then back at idle, it sputtered again.
    I forgot to mention that we checked to see if he sucked anything up,and couldn't see anything.
    Whats your advice?
    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Check compression

+1
    Was there any water in the hull that was more than normal after your nephew's ride?

Maybe a little bit more than usual. He said that he didn't tip it. He came back pretty dry.

+1
    check inside the hull with the motor running for an exhaust leak
    you may have split one of the ruber hoses conecting the exhaust parts together

kev

okay, I got the thing home, took the air filter out, there was a little puddle (a tablespoon?) of oil at the bottom of the air filter box. The oil was on the engine side of the filter.
    From my reading the threads on this website, I understand that this is a problem. We hadn't added oil in quite some time, and oil was on the low side when the engine issue showed itself.
    Is it likely that this is the cause of my problem, or should I keep looking?
    What kind of cost is involved with getting compression checked?

I cleaned the airbox, took it for another ride with no air filter. No difference. Still can't get rpms up, and is sputtering and wants to quit at idle.
    It did sound better initially, until I hit the throttle, then back at idle it sucked again.
    Brought it home ran it on the hose, no leaks inside.
    Did a compression check, at least I tried. Haven't done it before. I took out all spark plugs, disconnected the big ribber things that fit over the plugs. Attached gauge to one hole at atime and cranked the start button for 5 or 6 seconds. All of the holes were almost exactly the same, around 180 psi.
    Oh, I could get the rpms up while running it on the hose.
    What now?
    To the shop?

Unless there is some new info I would take it to the shop.

Found the problem!
    An exhaust hose clamp broke. Of course it was a hard to get to clamp. One of those that I remove to get at the oil filter.
    I replaced it, tightened everything up. Took her for a ride, and she was good as new.
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
    I now know how to check compression on my Waverunner, and am a little better educated about a few other things too!

Cool!! glad it was just a clamp and not something serious. You should without a doubt change that oil and filter if it hasnt been awhile since you checked the oil. Not too familiar with that motor but i think you need a pump to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information