Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riva stinger 3 Installation

Hey Guys
    I am installing a Riva Stinger 3 exhaust on a 02 GP1200R. I see in the instructions were is directs me to (Splice the longer OE 1/2" waterline from exhaust head pipe to cylinder head) From my understanding I run that line to the 1/2" barbed x 1/4" NPT 90 degree brass fitting on the left side of the stinger head right?

When I removed the OE exhaust there was a hose on the back top of it. Can I extend that one and install it to the 3/8" barbed x 1/8"NPT 90 degree brass fitting on the right side of the stinger head?

I am trying to avoid creating any new holes and fittings on the ski.

If anyone has any other recommendations on the install please keep me posted.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    We have had previous threads about alternate water routing. Here's a link: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-amp-Stinger-3

I used to have a pic of my old mod, but the photo hosting site doesn't exist anymore. I'll explain to you how to do a Jetworks mod with a Stinger 3.

Here is the standard install from Riva.

The two fittings at the bottom are for water dumps. When you put the T fitting on you are asking about, you are just combining water dumps. Note the water restrictor valve between the top and right one.

Here is a idea someone else came up with years ago.

This will NOT work. The way the S3 water routing works is, the water flowing through the exhaust exits through the fittings at (A) and (C). The standard install routes some of it back into the (B) fitting (you can see the hole below it where water enters the Stinger tubes); you adjust the amount with the valve between (B) and (C).

The idea in the 2nd pic was to have a Jetworks flow control valve open up at speed and inject water into the tube, while staying closed and keeping the pipe dry for holeshots. Problem is, not only is it damn near impossible to fit the valve between the fittings (I have no idea how he managed to do it), there isn't enough pressure coming from the water flowing through the exhaust to open the Jetworks valve. I tried it, and started melting things inside my ski.

My solution, and forgive me for not having a picture of it available anymore, is replace the T fitting at (C) with another 90 degree fitting, and dump the water from it overboard, along with (A). The T fitting that (A) runs into can go anywhere between the water dump from the head and the exit. Tap into the pump like you do a regular Jetworks mod, and run the hose to the (B) fitting, installing a Jetworks valve inline with it. Take the restrictor valve and install it between the Jetworks and (B) fitting; you will use it to dial in how much water you want injected into the pipe.

So here's how it's working; you are dumping all of the water running through the first part of the exhaust overboard. At idle, this keeps your waterbox dry, just like the original Jetworks mod intended, giving you a better holeshot. At around 3000rpm, the Jetworks opens up and feeds cooling water into the Stinger pipe.

Smitty your the best! Thank You!

+1
    HA! Look what I found!

OK, to summarize;
    Bottom, clear tube: water dump overboard, via the T fitting to the head dump.
    Middle, yellow tube; in from the pump, Jetworks and restrictor valves inline.
    Top, red tube; water dump overboard, T fitting replaced with 90 degree fitting (I used a nylon one from Lowes at first, had to order a brass fitting).

WOW your the MAN! I wanted to ask the (Middle, yellow tube; in from the pump, Jetworks and restrictor valves inline.) That one connects to the hose that was originally on the Top back portion of the OEM stinger Correct?

+1
    No. Look at the sticky in the How To section on the Jetworks mod. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...tworks-install
    You are going to do what you see in the first post; tap into your pump for hi pressure water. Run it into the hull via the OEM bilge exit, or if you want to keep your stock bilge, you can install a through-hull fitting near the transom. On the inside of the hull, you run the hose up to the (B) fitting. My hose is yellow as that's what I picked up from Lowes.

OK I Think I follow.
    B Fitting (your yellow hose) coming up from the pump via the mod.
    A Fitting (your clear tube) going to the 'T' connector on the head just like the Riva instructions on my first post
    C Fitting (your red tube ) being dumped over bored.

Would that hose the one thats is on top of the OEM stinger dump water over bored if I combined the (You red tube) (C) to it? I guess am trying to find out what part that hose I disconnected from on top of the OEM stinger plays.
    Thanks Smitty

+1
    When I got that motor, I didn't even have that part of the exhaust, and since I'm not near my skis right now I don't have a point of reference. On top of that, I had an aftermarket head. The illustration and instructions in from Riva are kind of confusing, but here is what I think they mean.

The hose going into the T in the circled area is the hose that went to your stock stinger, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure why they didn't just use that hose for one of the dumps; maybe they were wanting to limit the amount of water that ended up in the Stinger. I'm having to bring this up from memory, plus I've never messed with the stock pipe hose routing. The two hoses coming off of the S3 at (A) and (C) will be dumped overboard via two pissers, since they are different size hoses. I guess you could combine them if you could find a T adapter with the two diff sizes, but I just installed both through hull pissers. Pay attention to where they are going to exit; the guy who installed my Stinger on my first GPR put it on the side instead of the back. At low speed the water stream wouldn't make it over the back deck into the water, and I would end up with a footwell of hot water.

Something I forgot to mention; make sure you have a cat sensor bypass chip.

Hey
    I took some photos on my phone. Please excuse the quality but I think they will work.

When I removed the stock oem stinger it had this hose connected to that out/inlet on the stock oem stinger

When I followed that hose it went to the rear shown in the photo below

I think its an outlet and I can use it to connect the C Fitting (your red tube ) to dump water over bored. Am I right?

+1
    Actually, I think that's the one that will go to the T fitting. Check the sizes; I don't think it's the right size for the fitting at (C) red tube. I believe that you can add a T fitting lower on that hose and run the (A) clear hose to it, if it's the same size hose. But you are going to have to install one through hull pisser for the (C) red hose, at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information