Help! P1300r Capsized/Flooded

Hi everyone. I lent my brother-in-law my gp1300r (2003), he capsized it. We tried to drain it on the beach but waves prevented us from doing so. We towed it where the trailer was and drain out all the seawater. I sprayed the entire engine compartment with fresh water using a hose and let it dry under the sun for an hour and also wiped it dry. I tried to run the engine, the starter cranks partially but not enough to make the motor run. I checked the line to the starter from the battery and itís hot and some smoke comes out from it. Could the starter be grounded? From what I read here, I should immediately try to make the engine run soon as possible but I canít get it to. What should I do? Ski mechanic is not within hundred of miles from me. Would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.
    Ps. Ė incident happened 6 hours ago from the time I posted this.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    did you pull the plugs?
    water in cyls?

B&V
    pull the plugs,flip ski crank to spit water out,if its salt water don't wait get it running and run the hell out of it,get some plugs because they will foul up from the water

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    did you pull the plugs?
    water in cyls?
    Not yet. Engine was not running anymore when it capsized. Would water have still penetrated in this situation? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by b&v View Post
    pull the plugs,flip ski crank to spit water out,if its salt water don't wait get it running and run the hell out of it,get some plugs because they will foul up from the water
    That's the problem. I can't get it to crank coz starter would only partialy turn. Terminal to starter gets very hot and smokes. The positive wire to the starter gets very hot. I opened the electrical box, there's water in it. I'm wiping them off and spraying with air right now. I'm also replacing the terminal at the starter (positive end) coz about half is what remains. Would appreciate continuing/further advice. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by b&v View Post
    That's the problem. I can't get it to crank coz starter would only partialy turn. Terminal to starter gets very hot and smokes. The positive wire to the starter gets very hot. I opened the electrical box, there's water in it. I'm wiping them off and spraying with air right now. I'm also replacing the terminal at the starter (positive end) coz about half is what remains. Would appreciate continuing/further advice. Thanks!

Pulled the plugs, took out plenty of water. Dipped plugs in gas and poured some oil on holes. Was able to make it fire up. Run it on hose for several minutes then took it out in the water. Run it like hell and it did run fast like nothing happened. Took it back on trailer after 20 minutes and run it again on hose.

Would like to express my gratitude to keyzbum and v&b and to everyone who posted similar advice coz i read all of them and got the idea what i need to do.

Just need further advice on this next problem - when i got the ski back on water, the meter panel was going crazy and after several minutes in the water it completely went black. Until now, it has not worked.

Thanks again!

Thread Information