Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1

(WARNING) need to check drive shaft hose.

Everyone with a SHO a FZR and FZS should check there drive shaft hose before you sink your ski, Here is some pictures of mine it was collapsed on the spring and on the bottom were i could not see it had a 4 inch gash the only way i was able to tell was run my finger on the bottom of the hose. I checked it because i had a lot of water in the hull, I went to napa and bought a nice thick hose look at the side by side picture and see the difference between the two how much thicker the napa hose is. I also reinstalled the stock spring back in to give it more support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1981_0001.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	208861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1978.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	208860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1979.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	208859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1983.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	208858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1977.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	208857  

+1
    Good point, Jim; seems that any Yami with performance mods needs to replace it. We have actually had a thread going this week where we have been discussing the same subject on the GPRs. Everyone replaces it on the GPR to prevent it blowing out; I think the big problem is it collapsing under negative pressure created by the pump on acceleration, letting the shaft spin a hole in it. Either that, or it develops a fold and eventually works a tear in it as it collapses and expands over and over again. This stock hose is seriously flimsy.

I've had good luck on the 2-strokes using clear nylon reinforced hose from Lowes. It's so thick and stiff that you have to cut the hose to length and drop it in hot, hot water for a few minutes to let it get soft enough to install. There's no way that stuff is going to collapse or expand.

+1
    +1
    I had one do the same thing.
    I did'nt reinstall the spring because it was difficult to get on with the hose i used but it looks like it been working fine.
    I do keep a check on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Everyone with a SHO a FZR and FZS should check there drive shaft hose before you sink your ski, Here is some pictures of mine it was collapsed on the spring and on the bottom were i could not see it had a 4 inch gash the only way i was able to tell was run my finger on the bottom of the hose. I checked it because i had a lot of water in the hull, I went to napa and bought a nice thick hose look at the side by side picture and see the difference between the two how much thicker the napa hose is. I also reinstalled the stock spring back in to give it more support.
    That's exactly how my hose split on my ski a few weeks back (the one D.P. was referring to).

Wow! Thanks for the heads up buddy!

+1
    I noticed mine was completely collapsed from early on as well. I just straightened it out by undoing the hose clamps, staightening out (pulling on it) the hose and tightening down the clamps. No collapsing or issues in 6 months.

+1
    Good info Jim. Thanks for posting. One more thing I will keep an eye on.

+1
    This hose is sucked in collapsing on take off thats why the spring is inside to keep it from rubbing on the drive shaft. This collapsing of the hose is why you see a shinny place on a drive shaft . The splitting of the hose as in Jim's pictures comes from pump tunnel pressure at higher speeds. I have seen over 60 psi of pump tunnel pressure at times on skis at high speeds.. Both of these problems require the heavy wall hose as Jim suggested be installed to prevent failure . Nice post Jim! Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    I have seen over 60 psi of pump tunnel pressure at times on skis at high speeds
    Pardon the off topic question but that is a ton of pressure especially for the suction side of a pump. What are pressures like on the discharge in the nozzle?

+1
    After about 25 mph the pump intake changes from a vaccum to positive pressure. and this pressure increases as the speed goes up on the ski. Since the water intake is now being fed with water instead if having to suck the water in there is no prop spin from lack of water (Cavation) at higher speeds. Tommy Jordan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information