Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Polaris Pro 785

Can anybody tell me if the 2000 Polaris Pro 785 came with a thermostat or not? I just bought one and it ran hot in 2 to 3 minutes. My dealer said someone jammed something in there to make it run hotter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by churbs View Post
    Can anybody tell me if the 2000 Polaris Pro 785 came with a thermostat or not? I just bought one and it ran hot in 2 to 3 minutes. My dealer said someone jammed something in there to make it run hotter.
    Hey, yes they did come with thermostats. Most were taken out

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by churbs View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

What water temperatures are you riding in?

In warm water, the thermostat isn't critical, and many guys do take them out.

If you wil be riding in cold water, then the thermostat is more important. Ideal operating temperature for the 2-stroke engines is around 143F, and the stock thermostat is there to maintain that temperature range. Running the engine with lots of cold water flowing through is not good for it.

How long have you had your Pro 785?

Do you intend to do your own servicing?

+1
    Take out whatever is in there and go run it again. see if still gets hot.. almost all the Pro785's dont have them..

What did they jam in there?

Thanks for the help. I just bought this thing. What happened is the guy in Florida must have been racing it and he jammed this water restrictor in where the thermostat housing is. I latter learned the 2000 Pro 785 did not have a thermostat. He wanted to make it run hotter faster to race it. I did take it to a shop because the guy that sold it to me wanted to go that route. He actually sent me a check for $100 to cover the cost of repairs. Like another guy on here that was emailing me said don't let the shops work on it. He was right. I will do all the work myself from now on. After fixing a bad hose leak and straightening the speedo pickup it runs better. Now for my problems I need some help with. Is it normal for the 2000 Pro 785 to run hot after running it at full throttle and cutting it back to idle. I have that and if I run it full throttle for an extended period of time it will overheat. Then I have to run it at 30 mph for a couple of minutes and it cools down again. One guy did mention it is pretty hot water as I live in Georgia. The other problem: When I bought it it had 10.4 hours on it, but that is bogus. The hours read 10.4, RPM 0, and distance 0. They never change. The clock works, fuel gauge, and oil gauge all work. What is the pickup that sends this info to the MFD?

You need to verify that the engine / cooling is really overheating.. It might only be the temp / fuel / oil level sensor is defective, especially if things were altered by the last owner.

+1
    Randy...K447,

What is the best way for him to find out if it is just a bad mfd/heat sensor?

Can we just try a new heat sensor first or is there something in the box that could be malfunctioning.

Being that this boat did have some "obstructions" in the cooling system I wonder if their couldn't be something else in there that is hampering the flow and causing an overheat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you cannot hold your hand on any part of the engine (cylinders, heads) for a few seconds, then it is too hot.

Same for the water jacketed portions of the exhaust pipes, I would think.

Any help with the hours never changing, RPM reading 0 always, and the distance always reading 0?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check your regulator first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information