Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil extractor broke in middle of oil change

I decided I was going to change my oil out today in my ski. Turned out it was a bad decision, after about an hour I was only able to get out about 2-3 quarts. Not sure whats wrong with the extractor it wont even pump the oil out of the tank. It builds pressure but wont suck much oil at all or dispense. I bet one of the hoses inside are clogged or something. When I was trying to evacuate some of the oil I blew a plug clean out the top so I know its getting pressure inside. It was a mity vac extractor and turns out its a piece of junk. I ordered the one from the online store and im hoping ill have it by next Friday. This is a pointless thread but I just had to vent. I planned on taking the skis out tomorrow but thats not going to happen now.

+1
    Sorry to hear it, this is why I let the dealer do mine.
    I'm sure you'll have better luck with the new unit.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    if you wanna go out tomorrow go to walmart and buy one for 20 doll hairs. i have used mine for two oil changes and it has paid for itself. it is cheap and i know i will have to replace it sometime but there is no substitute for doing maintenance right yourself. go get it and be the hero.

+1
    I usually only get around 2.5 to 3 on my rxp. Should i be getting more?

This may be a dumb question but Did you warm the engine and kill it at more rpms than idle?

+1
    I would fill it up with fresh oil and call it good and go riding. Change the oil when the new pump gets in. Whats the cost of a couple of quarts of oil, opposed to a day at the lake?

+1
    I only get about 3QTs. I don't do any of that cranking crap either. Just fill with oil, change the filter and ride.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    I only get about 3QTs. I don't do any of that cranking crap either. Just fill with oil, change the filter and ride.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrin View Post

This may be a dumb question but Did you warm the engine and kill it at more rpms than idle?
    I was guessing on how much I sucked out. Towards the end the oil was only coming halfway up the tube from the ski to the extractor. So I know there is more in there just not sure how much more is left.

yes I warmed the ski up on the hose before I started.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by use2vtec View Post
    I was guessing on how much I sucked out. Towards the end the oil was only coming halfway up the tube from the ski to the extractor. So I know there is more in there just not sure how much more is left.
    yes I warmed the ski up on the hose before I started.
    Yes, you have to warm it up. Run it on the water. The hose is not going to get it to max temp. NOt to mention that its not helpful for teh carbon seal. Hot oil sucks out a lot easier than warm oil. You have to hold it at 4000 RPM for a couple seconds and then shut it off at that RPM. You also have to hold it wide open and crank it 2 or 3 or 4 times after you have sucked a bunch out. I usually get nearly a quart doing this. This is the only way you get the oil out. I just did my 10 hr on my RXT-X260 yesterday, and got 3 3/4 out. I have never gotten less than 3.25-3.5 quarts out on all the changes I did on my RXT 215. There is a great thread in the FAQ's on this board that will give you all the steps in great detail.

Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    Yes, you have to warm it up. Run it on the water. The hose is not going to get it to max temp. NOt to mention that its not helpful for teh carbon seal. Hot oil sucks out a lot easier than warm oil. You have to hold it at 4000 RPM for a couple seconds and then shut it off at that RPM. You also have to hold it wide open and crank it 2 or 3 or 4 times after you have sucked a bunch out. I usually get nearly a quart doing this. This is the only way you get the oil out. I just did my 10 hr on my RXT-X260 yesterday, and got 3 3/4 out. I have never gotten less than 3.25-3.5 quarts out on all the changes I did on my RXT 215. There is a great thread in the FAQ's on this board that will give you all the steps in great detail.
    How did you hold your RXT X at 4,000 RPM and keep it in the same place wile doing it? Or , did you warm it up in the water, then put it on a trailer and then rev to 4,000 and shut off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information