Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 RXP-X muffler cracked.

I was on the ski today as I made a high rpm turn ( about 6000 rpm) I heard the engine noise increase in a strange way . I eased off the throttle and the engine stopped. me and my sons freind had to bail out as the ski was very heavy at the rear end.I had to call the coastguard who then called out the inshore lifeboat which towed me back to the launch ramp. The ski was full of water and when I had drained all the water I pulled the plugs and spun the engine over , the rear cylinder had some water in it. I dried the plugs on the heaters of my car and put them back into the ski. it would start then it would stop after a few seconds of running , a lot of water came out of the exhaust.?I then re dried the spark plugs and started the ski again after about another couple of trys the ski ran without stopping. I took the ski to the garage and found the muffler had a 1 inch long crack in it ti the left of where the small pipe leaves the muffler.Can this be welded or does it need replacing?

Banned User
    +1
    shoot you had that much water in your ski you better take the manifold off and drain the water out of it. lots of low spots in there for the water to sit!

Here are shots of the damage , the exhaust is not cracked , it has a hole about 1 inch by 2 inches (25mm by 50 mm) caused by the inner exhaust rubbing against the aluminium muffler :-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski exhaust 010.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	209563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski exhaust 008.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	209564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski exhaust 007.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	209565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski exhaust 011.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	209566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski exhaust 009.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	209567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet ski exhaust 005.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	209568  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cawky View Post
    Here are shots of the damage , the exhaust is not cracked , it has a hole about 1 inch by 2 inches (25mm by 50 mm) caused by the inner exhaust rubbing against the aluminium muffler :-
    Wow that's pretty crazy, you had a hot spot with your mid pipe off angle. Check your pissers in mid pipe to not be stoped up, and yes your box can be fixed.

Now worry about that water in your motor. WHat does the oil look like?
    Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Wow that's pretty crazy, you had a hot spot with your mid pipe off angle. Check your pissers in mid pipe to not be stoped up, and yes your box can be fixed.

Now worry about that water in your motor. WHat does the oil look like?
    Seriously
    The oil in the motor is fine , normal oil colour as I changed it about 6 times also running the ski between each change.

I have had the repair done and here are 2 shots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust repair 001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	209770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust repair 002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	209777  

How many hours did your X have when this happened? First time I have seen that problem come up here on GH.. has me a little worried because my mid-pipe (black one) does NOT line up very well in the inlet to my TDR waterbox.

Hi, the ski has done about 60 hours since it had a new short block fitted under warranty by the dealer!
    This was fitted after the timing chain snapped after having the bearings changed in the supercharger ,the ski was tested by the dealer with the new bearings in the supercharger and they failed within 10 minutes. The dealer then was told to fit a whole new super charger.

order of incidents:-

bearings in supercharger failed
    dealer fitted new bearings
    dealer tested ski and bearings failed
    dealer fitted a whole new super charger
    timing chain snapped , trashed short block
    new block fitted.
    60 hours later ski fills up with water due to the muffler.

+1
    Make sure the mid-pipe is clocked right this time. The dealership tech screwed it up when they messed with the SCer and engine.

Hi Guys , I need your help!!

Went out today and after about five minutes the 2 Rule bilge pumps were pumping non stop and the ski was getting heavier very quickly.I did stop the ski and let the pumps pump the water out . i got towed back to the ramp which was only 2 minutes away . i then Pulled the plugs and spu the engine over - no sign of water in the barrels .I then ran the ski on the trailer in the water to try and find where the water was coming in but could not see anything > I then took the black cover off and tried again, still could not see anything, Iithen drove the ski around and the ski went into limp mode and the oil light came on - again I could not see any water coming in though I was only going about 10 mph.

I then took the ski out of the water and checked the plug , which were all dry. I then took the ski home and tried to start the ski , it would not turn over so I put the jump leads on it and pulled the spark plug ,i then dried them and started the ski and ran it on the hosepipe.

I have not got a clue as to where the water is coming in , any suggestion will be most welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information