Thread: Blowing fuse

Blowing fuse

whats up guys.

I was at the beach today and was out in the water for about half an hour and the ski just cut off.. i started looking at the fuses and noticed I blew the 20 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse and when i went to start it, it blew again while i was attempting to turn over the motor. I replaced it again and the same thing, starts to turn over than it blows...

I think the starter is bad because it took allot to crank over. With a fresh battery, it cranked slow for one turn then a second or two later it turned over enough to get the ski started, this was all with the starter button pushed in till it started.

I'm at a lost because if its the starter, then why did it blow the fuse while riding...

Thanks for the help..

I replaced the battery and the ski stopped blowing the fuses. but it still cranks very slow. I still think my starter is bad. Can i take out the starter without removing the exhaust manifold.

+1
    If its an FZR/S check your bilge pump and see if it is bad or clogged.

Its a 03 GP1300r. The negative battery cable was replaced and now it cranks awesome but it blows the fuse a few seconds after pushing the start button. At one point it started but the fuse blew but the ski stayed on.. Im also not hearing any beeping or anything, not even the bildge pump..
    I need some help.. searched and searched but nothing....

The starter is not on a fused circuit. Look on the starter solinoid circuit. Feel for the wire that is warm after the fuse blows. That will be the problem area. Something is grounding that should not when you push the starter button. You can also put a amp meeter across the fuse that blows then test differant circuits watching for the meeter to show high current flow(be careful doing this as the wires in the harnes will not take over 20amp for very long. What ever you do, dont put a larger (higher amp) fuse in the socket. You will melt things like the wiring harnes, or set your jet on fire!!

What ever is grounding is also intermitant. thats why when you put in the battery is quit blowing fuses untill the wire thats the problem grounded (Short Circuit) again.

Ill try that and see what i can find.

looking at the diagram, i think i should focus on the starter relay, main and fuelpump relay, regulator/rectifier, and engine shut-off... and also going to check the bildge pump..

Im not puting anything over 20, would rather blow a fuse than something else..

hopefully i can get somewhere, the weekend is almost here....lol...

ok, so i opened the electrical box in the back and checked the relay, clean the terminals for the regulator/rectifier, cleaned the positive battery terminal on the starter and cleaned the contacts on the handle bars and she fired right up without a problem and a blown fuse. Thanks for the inputs guys, problem solved... right before the weekend, its going to be a good one....

Thread Information