+1

Ultra 150 riders, I need your opinion.

I test rode a 1999 Ultra 150 today. Seems to be in very good shape, starts easy, revs nice.
    Here's the thing. The VTS Trim is broken and the nozzle is now stuck in the all the way down postion. The skis top speed is about 47 by the Speedo and the steering is extremely sharp and dangerous. Turn it much at all at speeds over 30 and you will get thrown off.

My question is "Does this sound normal for an Ultra with the trim all the way down?" I know my boat has a greatly reduced top speed if I trim the outboard all the way down.

I will of course repair the VTS if I buy it.

Thanks.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Well I've never gone over 25-30 with the trim down but yes that sounds right, my trim got stuck all the way up today. Does the display go blank when you hit the trim button? I'm glad at least its not all the way down

My ultra will do 60+ with the trim all the way down so no 47mph doesnt sound right.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Ok, nvm as I said I only ever put the trim down momentarily to crank a quick turn at 20 or something I haven't tried to go any faster with it down.

+1
    When I first bought my Ultra, I found that I could use the trim to turn in glassy water. Lean ever so slightly, then trim it down and it would carve a turn, trim it back to neutral and it would straighten out. I did this at full throttle. I really saw no use for full down trim, except in very rough water, so I modified it to go from neutral to up. It's fun to ride, now! Many people cut off the cable end to give more up, I made a new angle bracket that goes on the end of the nozzle.

Those trim boxes are expensive, so discount it accordingly.

I agree with Mooney, I'm pretty sure mine would do about 60 full down.

regardless of trim that ski should be going faster.....do yourself a favor and buy/rent a decent compression guage and run it on each cylinder....how many hours on the ski? Depending on maintenance and care 2 stroke ski can start to loose compression around 100hrs (if not sooner)...

Thread Information