Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Life is Supercharged (without ceramics)
    +1

Help water in pistons !!!

I need some tips/help asap

Took out the jet today to test out a new wear ring and my crappy new set of ngk dcpr8e plugs while my densos are still in the mail. I swear i have had non stop issues ever since i installed these new ngk plugs even though they are identical to my old ones. So im going to official throw them out and just use my old ones.

The jet ran great at first, full redline 8050 rpm got up a decent mid 60 mph range on choppy water. Then i headed back to shore and stopped for a bit on the water (5 mins tops). Fired it up again, was a bit rough but no hesitation, this was maybe 20 mins of riding tops.

I gave it gas and it felt like it was flooded/no air or gas. It wouldnt want to get past 3000 rpm of it felt like it would stall. So i idled it back to shore thinking it was maybe something with the wear ring/impeller.

Took it home, removed the plugs and i had water in the pistons !!! I was shocked out my mind, this is the first time anything like this has ever happened. No water in the HULL at all.

My dad was trying to tell me that perhaps if the spark plugs are acting up and misfiring or losing a fire they would in fact allow water to be sucked into the engine from the wet exhaust. Is this true?

BTW i did the following to clean it all up
    1. removed plugs, turned engine over seconds at a time to remove water & sprayed compressed air inside the pistons to blow away the water from the hole
    2. sprayed fogging oil in cylinder heads, turned over again a few more times
    3. It started right up without any issues and i ran it on the hose for a few mins (1 min at a time with 10 min breaks to cool the carbon seal).
    4. check oil at the end of it all, still nice and fresh, no water or milky look to it.

Now i fogged it again and just hand tightened my OLD plugs on there until tomorrow when Im gonna give it hell on the water. I didnt get a chance to take it out on water again today since i wanted to get home and get rid of the water to avoid any corrosion or rust inside the engine.

So my question is should i be looking into the water cooling loop? IS water coming in from the wet exhaust? how is it getting in the pistons? Is there some seal that maybe went on it causing the water to come into the engine ? I dont think it came through the air intake since it was all dry and just had a bit of oil in it (Im running a 3" riva with a filter jacket as well).

Here are the things i noted
    - no water in OIL, it looks as fresh as ever, not milky
    - no water in supercharger or intake
    - no water in hull
    - took out the supercharger, no water or bubbles, just clean oil (i thought it was the charger first)

Please let me know ASAP what i should do, is it safe to take it out tomorrow again or will it suck water in again? Thats what im worried about.

Thanks again for all of your help

+1
    What type of exhaust are you running?

This happened to me when I did a custom free flow exhaust and ran the piping too low and water was able to get in and flood my pistons like it did to yours.

Please give more details on your ski like year and mods and such.

+1
    oh also, if all the water is all out of there and you can figure out what is wrong with it then I would suggest you run the heck out of that thing tomorrow to be able to burn off any excess water, specially if it was in salt water.

Banned User
    +1
    What kinda ski?? P and T x's are prone to cracking intercoolers that sounds reasonable considering your description.?!?!

+1
    its a stock 05 rxp normal 215

3" riva intake
    riva grate
    stock unmodified exhaust

I was running it in fresh water.

There was enough water to look like fogging oil when i turned it over without the plugs in, it was like a mirror when i looked inside. It literally blew me away that the motor didnt get damaged from this since i had to idle it a good 1/2 a mile to get back to shore after i presume it ingested the water since it would want to pass idle.

Thanks for the quick replies guys

+1
    Stock Intercooler leak?

You said there was no water in the hull so it rules out getting ingested through your intake....

Where you being towed at any point?

It's not your spark plugs, at least I have never heard of a case of that being a problem....

So I'd say your stock IC is leaking...

+1
    Stock Intercooler leak?

You said there was no water in the hull so it rules out getting ingested through your intake....

It's not your spark plugs, at least I have never heard of a case of that being a problem....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    Stock Intercooler leak?

I was never towed
    I honestly dont even know where the intercooler is on these jets, is it part of the manifold ? How would i be able to spot a leak out of the water?

I had it on the hose and it didnt take in any water all during the small periods of time i had it running.

This may sound silly but how do i even go about remove and possibly fixing the intercooler? Is it one of those situations where you remove it and install a new one? Im guessing there are no seals made for it.

BTW my RXP has 73 hours if that matters at all.
    Any how tos on this issue? Im gonna start searching the site with your tips.

Cheers
    C

+1
    another thought, if i run some suggested test (if any) and find that its in fact leaking. Can i just remove the IC and put a block off cap thing? Or is the cap only used when an external IC is used?

Im trying to find an intercooler for sale but they are all for the 07+ models on ebay

is 160$ the normal range for them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxglobal View Post
    another thought, if i run some suggested test (if any) and find that its in fact leaking. Can i just remove the IC and put a block off cap thing? Or is the cap only used when an external IC is used?

Im trying to find an intercooler for sale but they are all for the 07+ models on ebay

is 160$ the normal range for them?
    If you remove the stock IC you will lose some performance.

And yes, you can block it off and go with an external IC. Skip the eBay intercooler and just get one of the kits on the online store that comes with everything you need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information