Is It Marina Fuel???

Well, had a great ride yesterday. Went on a nice slow cruise down the river to the lake. Ran great, ran strong with no issues. On the way back up the river I needed fuel. I filled up at the marina. No sooner did the new fuel go in it started smoking, bogging down and acting sluggish. It would clear itself out and run great, then get all boggy again. It would actually shut down every time I hit a wave and land. I haven't had a chance to pull the plugs yet, but I'll do that today. Any ideas? I used fuel from the gas station when I filled up the SUV, and it ran mint. Marina gas has had this effect on it twice now. Is it the grade of fuel they use?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Maybe had water in it? Check the water seperator.

May be old gas

Double check your elec connections. Esp the ground wire at both ends.

Do you have the plastic cover between the battery and elec box? (some models)

Maybe had water in it? Check the water seperator. Checked it, nice and clear, pure fuel. Checked the filter as well

May be old gas. Likely culprit

Double check your elec connections. Esp the ground wire at both ends. Checked and double checked

Do you have the plastic cover between the battery and elec box? (some models) No, it does not

+1
    No it's the model that doesn't have it?

Or no it's missing?

What ski are we talking about?

what size storage tank does your marina have ?? and who delivers ?? i ask this because i use to deliver bulk fuel , and sometimes these smaller marinas use smaller delivery guys , and small amounts of deisel can be left from last delivery , and get mixed with the regular fuel . especially if the guy delivering didn't leave his internal valve open and drain his compartments before filling for next order !

seeing as you said it started smoking , i thought .......maybe some deisel got into your tank ??? i would seriously drain it all , and dispose of it .

just my thought on the marina fuel ....................!

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    No it's the model that doesn't have it?

Or no it's missing?

What ski are we talking about?
    Sorry Xlint. Still the SLX giving me issues. I don't think it has the plastic tray since the bottom of the elec box has perfect groves to fit onto the top of the battery. Really erks me though. The ski ran better than it has since I've owned it before I put the marina fuel in it. Bossdog. No idea about the marina. It was an emergency stop I had to make on the river since I putted in on fumes.

+1
    The SLX (or any model that has the elec box resting on top of the battery) should have a plastic cover seperating the aluminum elec box from the battery posts.

That might explain your issues after hitting waves.

Drain the fuel from the ski and use it in your lawn mower. Get some fresh stuff and see what happens.

Did you check your compression just to be sure?

Rehashing an old post. I haven't really looked at the ski in awhile, put away for the year. But I got thinking about the issue it was having with shutting down when it would get airborne. Would the fuel pump (if it were starting to go) shut down once it was forced into a positive G once leaving the water, closing it off until I restarted? It's original on a '96 SLX, along with the fuel lines.

Thread Information