Thread: Rebuild Time?

Rebuild Time?

Alright, I found a 2001 GTX. Pretty good price, nice looking machine. The salesman at the dealership sounds like a very honest guy (is that an honest salesman?). Just kidding, no offense to any sales folks on here. Anyway, he says the machine does have a slight knock in the engine, having 197 hours on it. When generally do the 2-strokes need to be rebuilt? I always had the rule of thumb that 200 was the magic number. I'd hate to pick this thing up, and trailer it right back to be rebuilt.

The 951's will start rocking in the bore and shatter the piston skirt. Mine did this at 150 hrs. I think 197 is way overdue.

If the engine is knocking that doesn't sound good!! I used to race TZ250 2-stroke bikes, I know there is no comparison to a sea-doo but you don't want any engine rattle!!

Perfect. All I needed to know. I'll steer clear of this one then.

I would say it depends on what you can get it for. Go price out an SBT engine and check how much they charge to R&R it. Add it all up and add 10% more for misc parts and see if the new ski will be worth it. If they are working and price out at say $5000 and he is selling it at $1000 and the cost of the engine and install is $3000, it isn't too bad of a deal. OTOH, if he wants $4000, walk.

Thread Information