Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question jetski tipped and now won't start. please help!

I was out today and flipped my jetski over. When I got it back up I went to start it and it sounds as different than usual, like the starter isn't cranking the cylinders like it should and wouldn't start. I swam it back across the lake, got it home and checked the oil, expecting to possibly find water in with it, which it looks just fine, but there was some oil in the middle plug in the bottom of the airbox. I pulled the plugs and the cylinders seemed dry (Didn't pump any water or anything out) but only the one towards the back has compression, the front 3 I can see crank up and down but really don't force any air out through the plug hole like the back one does. The code I get is CAA9 on the screen which I think may be camshaft or crankshaft sensor malfunction. I put fogging oil into the cylinders and turned it over in to try to prevent any rust if water is in there that I couldn't see or know about but I'm stuck as to what could be causing this, or what's wrong with it. I'd really appreciate any and all help or suggestions.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    So I assume you are talking about a Ultra 250 ?
    model of ski will help is out abit

yes Caa9 is the crankshaft sensor , It is located in the front cover of the engine at the centre line of the crankshaft area.
    It is a 2 wire plug at the front of the engine.
    Just follow the wires up to ensure they are plugged in correctly.
    From memory its a light blue plug that comes out near injector #2 and runs around to the front of the engine...

if thats OK I would remove the front cover to ensure your timing rotor is still attached
    To remove the front cover is a simple as lifting the trailer on the jockey wheel so the nose is slightly up ( on a few inchs above level)

and remove the 4 x 8mm bolts . there are NO gaskets to worry about as it has a O ring seal that is reused

report back on your findings

Waz

It's a 2008 STX-15F. I also took the airbox out today and checked that for water, it was dry but had a little bit of oil in it. Held my hand over the air intake from the engine and was expecting to it to be trying to suck my hand in towards it but nothing or barely noticeable air movement. PS: I just checked, and found the blue plug by injector #2 and it was plugged in. Is there any fuse that could have shorted out from being wet that would cause it to go? Also, would that make 3 cylinders without any compuression and the 4th one still has some? That's the part that really throws me off, I would've thought they'd all be good or all be bad? Thanks again for any help.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    have u actually done a compression test with a gouge ?

eitherway that would not cause a FI code to happen

give you roll over switch a couple of soft taps, maybe its still stuck in the roll over position

Just thinking out loud

Waz

I haven't done compression test, just holding my thumb over the plug holes, only the back one #4 has air pushing out through the plug hole. Roll over switch was one thing I was also wondering but I'm not sure where it is, from reading the service manual it says it's basically 2 magnets but it didn't say anything about resetting it that I remember. Maybe I'll have to take a look tomorrow. I'll most likely be calling the dealer tomorrow and am really hoping that it's covered under warranty and that it'll be done soon because I have vacation at the end of the month that I wanted to take it on.

+1
    sounds horribly like timing chain is broken.

+1
    he could remove the rocker cover to confirm any valve issues

+1
    good call, not many bolts easy to get to and rubber gasket. see your good from some stuff other then breaking heads, hows ya mum.

+1
    my mum passed on 12 months ago but thanks for asking

+1
    you should have looked after her better and not locked her up in the spare room every day, I did warn you, but listen to me Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information