Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Jonny5's 2000 XPL Project..

Well after saying I wouldnt own one...well? here it is

I purchased the ski a week ago with 54 hrs on it and motor never been touched ski and trailer for $2600. Took it to the dealer to hook it up to the hand held and found the low hrs and also the timing at "0". So ...

With this ski I plan on making slow changes and tracking progress much like my stxr project and seeing where it goes. I will need a new tach since mine is leaving with my other ski and then will be able to get some baseline numbers. GPS and max rpm's.

I have read hundreds of threads already on tips things to do and not including Ben's but I will also add pic's vid and numbers to show my results.

So far this ski runs flawless but does have some area that needs to be addressed like the pump and prop have a few niks and dings but nothing serious and not to mention the pump shoe area was sealed but poorly as the material is actually in the tunnel at the moment. Also the fuel line change.

Anyway so I thought I would start a project to track progress and also have a data base to look back on.
    So far the only thing I did was some motor clean up and when I remembered working as a jetski tech the seadoo's where always messy and just had tons of junk in them. ...Lol the zip ties ...Honestly?
    Here is a before and after of just some simple motor clean up.
    Before

After

Ok well hope to start getting numbers and see where this goes. It will be a project that will take several months to complete but will hopefully provide good reading and usefull info thats more clear to follow.

OK till then.

+1
    Nice ski good luck

+1
    Well managed to get out and ride today and even got a couple gps runs. Location was Sacramento river right by cow creek where there is no current this time of year ...air was like 97degrees and elevation 580ft give or take.
    1/2 tank of fuel and got a 61.3 and a 61.6 So more then I though I would get after doing alot of reading.

Not to mention my prop and pump being kind of hammered and the junk in the pump shoe. So at least a base line now and a approx speed of what it runs.

Where I ran these is not my normal testing grounds but the numbers there are very close to where I normally go so. Anyway
    Thats the start will see where it goes.

+1
    Looks like its going to be a good project. The XPL's are my favorite ski.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    what level do you plan on taking this project?

+1
    Lol good question.. Hopefully not as far as the gpr or stxr on my links below. Although it will be a step project which I will start doing stuff at the end of this month after my stxr gets picked up.
    Pump stuff first as it would be nice to have a clean setup

+1
    That is one clean looking Doo. Good purchase

Banned User
    +1
    welcome to the seadoo side of life.... you going to race one of norms blasters or this new one at jet effect?!

+1
    this doo looks brandnew!

+1
    Ok well managed to do some more motor work and and a few simple mods and also some fixing of a water leak at the head pipe which ended up giving me a problem.

First off was to do the proks and jet it along with the removing of all the airbox junk. And while I was doing that I also did the fuel line switch. Which consisited of the gold lined and green lined fuel line. Both that where starting to crack and become flacky. Both carb filters where a little more then half filled with junk so addressed that as well.

Well with fuel line changed and carbs jetted and put back together I installed the proks...

Nice since all the airbox was removed and opens the compartment alot.

This did provide and noticeable gain as far as throttle response and overall better perfomance. And more rpm up top, not having a tach yet....hmmm.....i couldnt get before and after numbers but that info has been around along time and most people know it's a good first step.

Next was the rave vave mod...since I dont like extra stuff that can cause problems I figured if it can be eliminated then remove it.
    Is this for everyone...maybe not but I went with it.
    this is after the hole has been drilled

a 3/32 drill bit seems to be the choice people use so I used it as well and found it to be spot on.

You can see the angle that needs to be drilled to end up inside the housing with the gromet.

After...

Another mod I did was to get rid off more stuff that was not going to be needed. At least in my ski. So I went and did away with the heavy oil coated siphon stock bilges that had a bunch of crude in and around them, and left the stock electric bilge in place. Also with the addition of 2 Versiplugs from pwcdoctor which dump tons of water under forward motion the same as the stock siphon bilges. I looped the 2 lines together and connected them using the stock 90 degree fitting.

I still have all the stock bilge stuff just in case I think the elec and versi plugs are not performing well enough but im not a ocean jumper and not many people ride my ski. A slight few really.

I did manged to go ride after the rave valve mod was done and proks. I didnt really notice any difference in the rav mod which I liked. I worked the same. I did notice the carb mod with the air box gone rejet using my setup and the proks. I probably gained about 75-100 rpm according to the stock gauge but hard to really tell as air temps where down just a little as well.

But while I was out I pulled the gps for fun and got a peek of 62.5 and other readings of 62+'s ...
    Will be getting a tach soon so will have that dialed in soon and then some pump stuff and a rebuild this winter.

K till the next post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information