Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

oil out of the exhaust

Im trying to figure out or seeing if its normal that my ski has alot of oil coming out of the exhaust when it runs. I had it on the trailer today on a flush kit and the grass was turning black and the ride plate is covered after tens mins of running. I had it on the trailer in the water today and there was alot of oil around when it was idling.

I have been working on this ski for a bit because it wont idol past 5000 rpm when in the water, on the flush kit it will get up to 7000-8000 range but somewhat hesitant.

any ideas?

I got alot of water in my motor once, drained out what I could, then ran it for a while to burn the rest out. It looked like runny black pudding coming out of the exhaust.

ya thats how mine is , ran for tens mins on a flush kit and the grass was black... the ski keeps fouling the spark plugs and only runs up to 5000 rpm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hfthe3rd View Post
    Im trying to figure out or seeing if its normal that my ski has alot of oil coming out of the exhaust when it runs. I had it on the trailer today on a flush kit and the grass was turning black and the ride plate is covered after tens mins of running. I had it on the trailer in the water today and there was alot of oil around when it was idling.

I have been working on this ski for a bit because it wont idol past 5000 rpm when in the water, on the flush kit it will get up to 7000-8000 range but somewhat hesitant.

any ideas?

I have the same thing going on with my 2001 GP1200r. Need some questions answered first from you, we can work on this together if you also have a GP or similar ski.

1. What year & type/ of ski?
    2. Have you checked compression?
    3. Do you have a cat converter?
    4. What do your plugs look like?

When I bought my ski it ran like you described. I pulled the cat and replaced it with a Dplate & chip, replaced plugs, etc. When I started it, black gas and oil poured out the exhaust, assuming because the #1 cy wasn't running for who knows how long and the other two were nasty. That was not the problem, ran fine on land, bad in the water. Mine would scream, then it went back to running like shit.

I pulled the carbs, had them rebuilt and now I'm replacing fuel system stuff.

did you check to see if the cable is off of the injection pump?

+1
    My cables were fine, I'm now running premix. For the record.

Quote Originally Posted by hfthe3rd View Post

any ideas?
    I'm assuming this is a 2stroke we're talking about, but you don't say what model in your post. Are you pre-mixing or still on the oil pump? If pre-mix, you've maybe miscalculated the ratio of oil to gas, if it's stock on the pump, I'd suggest you check the oil pump cable like Pale Rider suggests, or check to see the pump is actually moving (locate the pump, then use a mirror to check the pump is correctly adjusted and it's moving properly.The manual shows correct adjustment procedure). It sounds like way to much oil in the gas, and the motor can't burn it all, so it dumps it out the back. That would certainly cause problems with revs, and your wallet!

sorry i forgot to talk about the ski.. its a 2000 yamaha gp1200r . I just got the ski and the guy of course said it ran like a champ. Compression was 120 in all cylidners which is the reason i bought it but i didnt realize the ski didnt rev hard because i didnt take it out on the water. It was a killer deal which i dont mind doing a little work. the guy said he did install a d plate. Tonight is the first night im going to start and take this ski apart.

I put a new fuel filter and new plugs in the ski so far but didnt help that much. It ran pretty good on the trailer (flush kit) but once in the water it wouldnt rev past 5000 and was very sluggish

I freestyle superjets which im very use to working on, this is my first time working on a sit down /bigger engine.

Quite a simple motor in these things. Things to check for the lack of revs is fuel delivery, carbs (the most common problems are carb related), make sure the powervalves are moving around the 5000rpm mark and cycling open and closed after engine shutdown, and check the oil pump related issues already discussed. A carb rebuild is always well worthwhile on an unknown ski. It's not difficult and doesn't cost massive money, but can give excellent gains (better starting, better running, better speed etc. etc.). BTW, 120psi is a good figure, and the D plate is a great mod.

Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    Quite a simple motor in these things. Things to check for the lack of revs is fuel delivery, carbs (the most common problems are carb related), make sure the powervalves are moving around the 5000rpm mark and cycling open and closed after engine shutdown, and check the oil pump related issues already discussed. A carb rebuild is always well worthwhile on an unknown ski. It's not difficult and doesn't cost massive money, but can give excellent gains (better starting, better running, better speed etc. etc.). BTW, 120psi is a good figure, and the D plate is a great mod.
    thanks for the help, i actually ordered a oil block off plate , i took the exhaust off to look at the carbs and damn there a little a different then a superjet. I want to try to take them out next to clean them, i feel the farthest cylinder back is not getting enough gas/oil because the plug is still looking brand new after a hour of runnning. I know it should have more time on it but its still nice and shiny. I wonder if that third carb is messed up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information