Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Steering and top speed problems 2010 RXT-X 260

2 problems out riding today.

1. To keep the ski in a straight line, I have to turn the bars to the left a lot. The left handlebar end is probably 2" down from level.

2. Lost my top end. Turning 8060 RPM, but only running 63 mph,(on Garmin and ski GPS) down from 68.

The steering started this AM, the speed loss later this afternoon. Air and water temps have been the same Fri/Sat/Sun.

I have NO clue what is going on. So ANY ideas appreciated.

+1
    I took a closer look tonight. and gee, look what I found. I think the answer to both the problems.

The jet is now bolted to the ride plate. Facing the jet, BOTH right sides bolts were missing. The front one was broken off flush in the ride plate, and the rear either backed 100% out, or was not there from Doo, as its missing in action.

I checked the left side bolts, just the front, and it was loose. NOT GOOD, when the ski can go 68 mph, and this controls the steering.

Anyone with a 2010 with the new jet mounting bolts, I'd suggest you check and make sure that all 4 of them are tight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front mount broken bolt.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	209121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0820.JPG 
Views:	389 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	209120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear mount.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	209119

+1
    Awesome catch!!! Instead of just taking it to the "stealer" you checked out yourself and saved a BUNCH of us some grief...
    I'll be keeping an eye on it. Funny how I haven't had any of the problems the other owners have had eg. OPAS sensor,broken latches, now the loose bolts... knock on wood!

+1
    unfortunatly, its still gonna have to go to the dealer, because of that broken bolt. If its got locktite on it, its not coming out of that ride plate. No way I drilling there with a warranty issue. Fortunatly, my dealer is pretty good. The issue may be, that if it needs a new ride plate, if Doo has one. Thats a new mount for this year I think.

I'm also wondering if the pump being off did anything to the driveline. Ski was still turning 8060 RPM, just not getting speed, I ssume it was'nt making speed because the boat was not running in a straight line.

+1
    Same exact thing happened to mine. Both right side were missing and ski was turning right. Luckily mine did not break off. Odd!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1238 View Post
    Same exact thing happened to mine. Both right side were missing and ski was turning right. Luckily mine did not break off. Odd!!!

By looking at it, I think that Doo either forgot the rear right bolt, or it was really loose. So all the load was transfered to the front one and it broke. and yup, mine wanted to do circles to the right if I let off the handlebars.

Did you see a big loss in speed before you found the loose bolts? and how did you find them?

+1
    The best/worse part of this, is that checking these bolts is part of the 10 hour service check. As the ski just hit 10 hrs if these bolts were "just" loose, it would have been found, but needless to say I missed the part where Doo says you need to check these bolts before 10 hours.

According to the manual, the next check on these bolts isn't till 100 hrs/1 year. SCARY

I had serious steering problems with my ski. Took it to the dealer and found out there is a service campaign to "tighten steering block bolts" Maybe it's the same thing. Tracks fine now. I hope they can fix it fast for you!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    By looking at it, I think that Doo either forgot the rear right bolt, or it was really loose. So all the load was transfered to the front one and it broke. and yup, mine wanted to do circles to the right if I let off the handlebars.

Did you see a big loss in speed before you found the loose bolts? and how did you find them?
    Not sure about loss of speed, I did not notice anything drastic. I found mine because I was going to attempt to adjust the steering and they were gone. I think I'll be checking them before every ride.

+1
    WOW checking mine tonight! My steering has been a "little" off since I got it but, nothing to this extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information