Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar

Problem during ride today.... Electrical expertise needed!

I finally got my ski in the water today. Damn thing sounded great, and ran like crazy.. With the FPP stuff, it definitely had more RPM on top, and 3 more MPH on the Dream O Meter..

BUT... A problem cropped up while I was out: One time after I shut it off, I hit the start button and got nothing.... I held the mode button to bring up the deal that tells you to put the code in.... Zero.

Got it towed in, and got it home. There is power everywhere it should be (as far as I know). I even get light on the tester when I push the start button.

When I touch the test light to the brown wire on the brown/red set, the menu will show on the screen as SOON as I hit the mode button. This thing is wierd. I think I have an electrical gremlin somewhere.

I need to find a way to bypass all of that security crap altogether, and see if I can get it running that way....

Any ideas what is going on here?

+1
    did you get a temp alarm? how did you bypass the exhaust temp sensor with the FPP's? just a thought to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    did you get a temp alarm? how did you bypass the exhaust temp sensor with the FPP's? just a thought to check out.
    No temp alarm. The ProTec head has a place for the temp sensor.. Before it started acting up, when I would start it, the LED would flash, and show the MILE screen (the odometer) and 000 underneath. I would flip thru the menu and it would stop. I'm not so sure the instrument cluster isn't bad on that thing. This is why I wanted to try to bypass it.

Yeah. The more I think about it, the more I want to bypass the instrument cluster altogether. I have seen it done on a Raider. Anyone know how to do it?

Found this, Not sure if its the same for the GP760 http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=#post578097

Okay, after finally looking at the wiring diagram in the manual, it looks like the security thing keeps it from starting, and not from running. I will bypass it this afternon with some jumpers, and see how that works out.

And even more interesting... After digging around for a bit, I applied ground to the black wire in the 4 pin connector, and voila! Everything works.... This is wayyy too strange for me. After I start the engine, I can remove the ground jumper that I put on and the engine will keep running, but the gauges all go out. BUT, if I wiggle the harness (above the gas tank) while it is running, the gauges will momentarily come on, and turn off.

SO.... I am really back to square one on this deal.... I really don't want to rig something to make it work. I want it to work correctly....

+1
    Did you try tracing that black wire from the 4-pin connector back to the cdi box? Maybe the wire is pinched, cut, sliced, or just corroded somewhere along it.
    Which side did you apply the ground to? If you applied ground to the Multi-Function Meter side, then maybe there is a bent pin inside the connector.
    You could try a continuity check from that ground to inside the CDI. Seems there is a bad ground somewhere. Hopefully it isnt inside the MFM.

sounds like a bad ground or a loose connection somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    sounds like a bad ground or a loose connection somewhere.
    Imagine that...... LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information