Solas prop and wear ring clearance question...

I understand the Solas props fit tighter than OEM. I'm running a 14/19 prop. I just put the pump back on after being rebuilt. I was told to spray some silicone spray on the edges of the blades before I fired up the ski since the prop was a tight fit in the wear ring. I did that.

I fired up the ski and it sounded like it had some strain because of the tight fit of the prop. I gave it a slight rev and some small chucks of the wear ring blew out the back of the pump. After that the ski ran fine.

Is this ok and normal? I understand the prop is in there tight up against the wear ring and my pump has brand new internals so it's not "broken in" per se.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    I understand the Solas props fit tighter than OEM. I'm running a 14/19 prop. I just put the pump back on after being rebuilt. I was told to spray some silicone spray on the edges of the blades before I fired up the ski since the prop was a tight fit in the wear ring. I did that.

I fired up the ski and it sounded like it had some strain because of the tight fit of the prop. I gave it a slight rev and some small chucks of the wear ring blew out the back of the pump. After that the ski ran fine.

Is this ok and normal? I understand the prop is in there tight up against the wear ring and my pump has brand new internals so it's not "broken in" per se.
    Did you crank the SKI out of the water? I have heard that when you put in a new ring only crank the ski in the water for the first time.

Pretty sure what your describing is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Did you crank the SKI out of the water? I have heard that when you put in a new ring only crank the ski in the water for the first time.

Pretty sure what your describing is normal.
    Yea I fired it up on the trailer. Sprayed the prop with silicone spray before hand. I looked in the pump and it looks fine.

+1
    You're fine keith, as long as it was shavings & not chunks.. LOL
    The impeller is just seating with the wear ring. That was a new ring right?

+1
    Had this happen on a stainless ring except the ski never started just wedged the prop in the ring. Noticed when I put the impeller back in after replacing the ring that it seemed a little tight to one side before installing pump assembly. Thought the same thing that it might be normal and went ahead with the install. Had to pull it back apart and pollish the ring but also figurd out that if when you first torque the prop check for it rubbing, if its rubbing pull it back apart again and the re-torque and check again. Dont know why this worked but it did perfect on the second try, go figure!!

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    You're fine keith, as long as it was shavings & not chunks.. LOL
    The impeller is just seating with the wear ring. That was a new ring right?
    No it's the one we flipped. Lou rebuilt it. He saved the old parts. It was worse than I thought. Good call on telling me to have it rebuilt.

Thread Information