Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb 2002 polaris virage txi will not run, just back fires

i have checked fuel pressure 30 psi at shrader vavle.I have new pistons,rings,c-clips wrist pin and needle brgs. in top end. I have replaced the stator because of no spark. I have 10.6 or higher volts at cranking. It has new spark plugs. The reeds look o.k. The fuel injectors are spraying.It has good spark. It trys to hit and then it stops trying to hit and then loads up with fuel and back fires.It is really hard to tell if it is not getting the right amount of fuel or if the spark plugs are not firing at the right time due to maybe a bad emm.Have sprayed a shot of starting fluid in each cylinder intake and still cant tell if it is fire/timing or starving for fuel and is lean out.plus woodruff key is not broke.Please help if anyone has any ideas! I also need a exhuast pipe, the muffler on this ski.It is cracked and busted. Thanks motormadness!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

30PSI fuel pressure sounds high, but would not cause the backfire problem. Make sure the return fuel line into the tank is not clogged. The pressure regulator is inside the tank, on the return line.

I take it this machine is new to you.

Was the stator you removed actually damaged?

My thinking is that the EMM needs repair. Backfiring is a symptom of a bad EMM.

Check the following before you send the EMM to DFI Technologies.

- Voltage on the White/Red wire, with all injectors plugged in, should be over 20 volts while cranking.

- Unplug the TPS, see if it starts.

- Disconnect the large U shaped exhaust hose at one end, until you get the backfire problem fixed. Backfiring can blow the exhaust resonators apart.

- Fuel injectors will only spray properly when clamped into a cylinder head. You cannot run them without the cylinder head. They will just leak and spew fuel.

- Make sure the spark plug wires (primary and secondary) are not swapped around. Same for the fuel injector wires.

Thanks for allyour help! I work on all different makes and models for the past 12 years.But i have never encountered this problem before.This ski is my customer ski and yes this set up and design of the 2002 virage txi is different to me but similiar in many other ways.There was no spark when i received the ski and the stator was damage from the starter bendix.I had no fuel pressure before, until i placed the regulator back up on the pump.Now i have 30 psi and within 12 hours later it still had 8 psi holding.I will check all the info you gave me and if there is anything else please let me know.By the way do you have any contact info. for DFI.Thanks alot! Motormadness

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by motormadness View Post
    ...do you have any contact info for DFI?

Thanks alot! Motormadness
    Info is in the links in my signature

Hello,K447! I checked everything you said and this is what i found.With the fuel, the regulator is still on the pump and clogg free.the hose that has the sharder valve is coming off the top of the injectors, thats the hose that we hook to the supply line and and the ski we fire up a little and run as long as you help it with another source of fuel.But if you hook the supply line hose up to the hose going to the bottom of the injectors the ski will back fire worse. Should the return line fuel hose be hooked up to the hose with the sharder valve or not? I have looked at the oem parts break down and it dont make since how this ski runs afterwards.There is 15 to 18 psi while cranking it, but as soon as you stop cranking it, it falls to 0.Only way to get fuel pressure gauge to read is to crimp the return line. Then it builds up to 30psi,but falls off as soon as you release it. The regulator is still on pump during all of this.Think maybe the fuel pump is bad and also emm?

+1
    Hello,K447! I checked everything you said and this is what i found.With the fuel, the regulator is still on the pump and clog free.

the hose that has the schrader valve is coming off the top of the injectors, thats the hose that we hook to the supply line and and the ski we fire up a little and run as long as you help it with another source of fuel.

But if you hook the supply line hose up to the hose going to the bottom of the injectors the ski will back fire worse. Should the return line fuel hose be hooked up to the hose with the schrader valve or not?

I have looked at the oem parts break down and it don't make since how this ski runs afterwards.

There is 15 to 18 psi while cranking it, but as soon as you stop cranking it, it falls to 0. Only way to get fuel pressure gauge to read is to crimp the return line. Then it builds up to 30psi, but falls off as soon as you release it.

The regulator is still on pump during all of this. Think maybe the fuel pump is bad and also emm?
    The fuel supply line comes directly from the fuel pump to the lower (and larger) fittings on the injectors.

The return fuel line comes from the upper connection on the injectors, goes through the tee of the schrader valve, then to the fuel tank return fitting. Inside/under the tank return fitting is the pressure regulator.

I am not understanding your comments regarding fuel pressure readings.

With properly connected fuel lines, the fuel pressure without clamping the return line should be over 20 PSI (cranking or running engine). Clamping the return line between schrader valve tee and fuel tank should bump the pressure up even higher to near 30 PSI.

Fuel pressure may bleed off when the engine stops cranking/running. What is important is fuel pressure while cranking and running. Pressure should be stable as soon as cranking begins, not jumping around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180059b.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	209311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5240130.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	209310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5240131.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	209309  

Thanks man! Should the first fuel injector on the mag piston have a electrial connection in the colors of red/white and blue or red/white and green?

+1

Arrow Ficht engine wire color sequence, fuel injectors and ignition coils

...Should the first fuel injector on the mag piston have a electrical connection in the colors of red/white and blue or red/white and green?
    Fuel Injector wire color sequence;
    MAG = Blue
    CEN = Purple
    PTO = Green

Ignition coil sequence;
    MAG = Orange/Blue
    CEN = Orange/Purple
    PTO = Orange/Green
    Last edited by K447; 05-04-2014 at 08:00 AM.

K447 this motormadness, Thanks for all your help! When i hook all fuel lines back up and i only get 15 or 18 psi like before, do need to replace the fuel pump or maybe emm? My customer bought this ski at a auction, "pig in a poke". They let this take on water and rust and freeze the exhust pipe/muffler and bust.I have had the ski running, but cant keep it running and iwould like to find a used exhaust pipe to put in it.If you know of anything else or where i can get a pipe please let me know.Thanks K447, Motormadness

+1
    18PSI fuel pressure should be enough to get it to run.

You have verified that ALL the injector AND ignition wires are connected correctly to the correct cylinders?

Is the exhaust water box the only thing that was damaged by water or freezing?
    Check my signature links for Parts Sources

Did you do these things?

- Voltage on the White/Red wire, with all injectors plugged in, should be over 20 volts while cranking.

- Unplug the TPS, see if it starts.

- Disconnect the large U shaped exhaust hose at one end, until you get the backfire problem fixed. Backfiring can blow the exhaust resonators apart.

As I said earlier, I think it is time to send the EMM out for diagnosis, and probably repair. Call DFI Technologies before shipping to confirm the charges and turn-around time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information