+1

How much pressure builds in your gas tank?

I'm having fuel issues right now. I've been working on my ski, last two things left are the fuel flapper/installing clunks and replacing any filters/lines/etc...

Yesterday, my buddy noticed that when I took my gas cap off, a lot of pressure pushed out. He said that isn't normal and it should be venting.

My other skis did this. Is he crazy?

from what I understand there are different fuel formula`s for different states...
    Last year from summer to fall I was getting pressure in the tank when the ski was sitting in the sun for a few and in the garage when the temperature would change... I have no experienced this at all this year and understand that the fuel formula has changed for NJ...

would also like to hear more on this, but you could check to see if your tank is venting correctly...
    I understand the carb`d ski`s need a little pressure in the tank, I have the EFI ski and do not require it...

+1
    The tank (fuel system) is supposed to be pressurized, the vent allows air in not out. this is normal not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    The tank (fuel system) is supposed to be pressurized, the vent allows air in not out. this is normal not a concern.
    even for efi ski`s Bill?

+1
    EFI skis are different, but he is talking about a carbed ski as far as I gather with the flapper door clunks etc.

CARB would be having a fit if they found out you were venting hydrocarbons from the fuel tank, into the atmosphere. It is supposed to be sealed. There is a pressure relief valve, but its probably set at several PSI. You don't want an open tank just sitting there, venting explosive vapors. Tell your buddy its totally normal. The vapor pressure of the fuel has a lot to do with it (different depending on time of year and geographical location...its higher in the cooler months, lower in the warmer ones), along with if the ski is setting out in the sun. Higher vapor pressure fuels that are found outside of the commie states (CA, MA, NY, etc.) are more likely to do this. CA caps max vapor pressure to lower evaporative emissions

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    CARB would be having a fit if they found out you were venting hydrocarbons from the fuel tank, into the atmosphere. It is supposed to be sealed. There is a pressure relief valve, but its probably set at several PSI. You don't want an open tank just sitting there, venting explosive vapors. Tell your buddy its totally normal. The vapor pressure of the fuel has a lot to do with it (different depending on time of year and geographical location...its higher in the cooler months, lower in the warmer ones), along with if the ski is setting out in the sun. Higher vapor pressure fuels that are found outside of the commie states (CA, MA, NY, etc.) are more likely to do this. CA caps max vapor pressure to lower evaporative emissions

+1
    Thanks guys. Exactly as I thought. I couldn't see how pressure would be a bad thing and how venting pressure into the hull would be safe. I really need to learn to stop listening to friends. lol

Thread Information