Question Spark plugs gone bad - 06 Sporster

Just recently I was heading back to the launch on a nice full day out on the water and for whatever reason 1 or 2 of my cylinders stopped firing. It didn't happen at high rev, but only when I was putting around at the dock waiting for a space to open up. My idle was fine, but when I hit the gas slightly the engine would vibrate much more than normal and I would barely get any power from the engine. I called Scotty, but he said... ok old joke, but I couldn't resist.

When I got the boat home I checked the impeller and pump to see if anything got stuck and it looked normal. I looked at the plug electrical harnesses to see if they are on properly and they were. Pulled the plugs out to see what shape there were in (they were new at the beginning of the season - about 10-15hrs of use so far) and they seemed fine. At little dark, but no more than a used plug would look like. I hooked up the hose to the boat and turned it on to see if it was still having issues and it sounded ok. The ultimate test would be to get it back out on the water to see how it performs. With a big boating trip coming up I didn't want to chance the old plugs so I put new ones in and tested it one the water; everything worked fine.

Basically I just wanted to know if anyone else has had spark plugs go bad on them within a few hours of use or is this going to be a reoccurring issue that is caused by something else?

Sounds to me like you got something really small stuck in the intake. Its happened to me, and I suggest for piece of mind you look again with a nice bright light.

Then again, it could be anything else like plugs, and with that I have no experience there to help you.

Now that you mention it. There was a mysterious small piece of water log that was on my drive way after I first started it up. Oregon has a lot of Timber and the lakes can get filled debris.

Thread Information