Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Ultra 150 pump question

I have a question about my pump while riding last Sunday the ski has always had the same noise to it last week on the ride back it started making a different sound kinda like maybe my prop hitting metal sound that's the best I can describe it..I was wondering if anyone has had/has this same problem I am thinking I need to re do the pump bearings and seals or is my impeller rubbing on my wear ring? not sure any help would be great it is a 2001 ultra 150 with about 80 hrs on it.It has always been a great ski I have some knowledge of it I have had the whole pump apart before to get a rock out so I am familiar with how that all works and I work on my own cars so I have a pretty good knowledge of how stuff works...Thanks Jason

Welcome to the Green Hulk!

The Ultra 150 is famous for eating pump bearing every 60 hours or so. Sounds like you are do for a rebuild. Check out the Kawi section on this forum. There is tons of info on DYI pump rebuilding, shimming, etc. There is probably a miler per hour or two in rebuilding the pump correctly.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info ill check it out..How would I know if I have done any damage to anything else? Have you ever done it? Just wondering how involved it is sorry for all the questions kind new at pwc wrenching.lol..

I was told to take the pump cone off and if water is in there the seals are shot thus your bearings are probably toast too. For alittle over 100 bucks skiworx with press new bearings on and re-pitch and blueprint your pump. I heard you get a nice jump in performance and more reliable bearings

Forgot to add if you do it yourself look for 05 10 ultra pump bearings....they are much higher quality.

More particular you want 05 bearings and seals. I have an 04 with 180+ hours on the pump, the newer seal work. I have had 2 pumps rebuilt, skiworx did both of them.

I checked into skiworx what is the usuall turn around time? Or do I do it myself? So your saying get the 05 bearings and seals? So I am taking it they also work on 2001? I have also seen alot of talk about oil lines I am going to replace those also Besides filling the new line up with oil and premixing my first tank of gas is that about all there is to it? Kinda new at working on pwc.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    More particular you want 05 bearings and seals. I have an 04 with 180+ hours on the pump, the newer seal work. I have had 2 pumps rebuilt, skiworx did both of them.
    Morris, how do you even have time to rack up that many hours on a single one of your skis? ...And still have time to post here? Hahaha I must be in the wrong business

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra150rider View Post
    I checked into skiworx what is the usuall turn around time? Or do I do it myself? So your saying get the 05 bearings and seals? So I am taking it they also work on 2001? I have also seen alot of talk about oil lines I am going to replace those also Besides filling the new line up with oil and premixing my first tank of gas is that about all there is to it? Kinda new at working on pwc.
    Just did my oil lines yesterday, its fairly straight forward take the flame arrestor/ airbox off the carbs, I unbolted the exhaust manifold and moved it to the side, use some rags/ so when you take the old lines out it doesn't get all over everything. And yes, prime the lines with oil before you put them on. I tried to skip this step and had to take them off and fill em. P.s. Check the cable running to the fuel pump to make sure its not frayed or has broken wire strands.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater n Premix View Post
    Morris, how do you even have time to rack up that many hours on a single one of your skis? ...And still have time to post here? Hahaha I must be in the wrong business
    I havent had as much free time this year I bought the 04 with 42 hours at the end of 2006. I put a piston skirt through the bottom case at 44 hours on it. I just figured I started this year with 185hours on the meter so that works out to an average of 47 hours per year. Thats not too bad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information