Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1992 sl 650 carbs not getting fuel, stumped???

Hi All,

So I started my first ski project, I have been researching and figuring out things that need to be done but now Im stumped

1992 SL 650
    120 compression in all 3 cylanders (Replaced MAG side piston/head/cylander)
    Installed good Stator (I have a good spark now)
    Installed New Triple Outlet Fuel Pump Kit

So here is where the new problems begin, after installing new Mag Kit, Stator and Triple Pump - I tried to start it. She was a no go, because it was not getting fuel from the carbs.

1. I poured a little gas in carb throttle bodys, and she fired right up (seemed to run at at full throttle, is this normal?)
    2. So I though maybe the carbs were dirty, I took the carbs apart and sprayed them with some carb cleaner (Fuel filter and jets didnt have a spec of grime in them).
    3. So I checked the inline fuel filter, it seemed to be letting gas through rather nice, although Im going to replace today.
    4. So I checked the new 3 outlet pump, this is where it gets a little fuzzy, the only line getting steady gas to come through when the engine was getting pulled over was the outlet all the way to the right. When primed, all 3 spert gas. (Is there a better way to test this)
    5. To me, it seems like the carbs are not getting enough fuel pressure to release the pop offs in the carbs to allow gas through. I havent tested the pop offs, but none of the carbs are getting gas through, so I dont think all pop offs would fail.
    6. Underneath the exhaust manifold, I havent put those lines back on yet, would this have any impact on the pulse?
    Thanks for the help!
    Brad

When you had it with the other fuel pump did it work? If so then fuel pressure is to low on your new pump and may need to adjust your pop off pressure.
    When you pour gas on the carb manually and accelerate a little does it stays working?

P.S: Also don't have it on for more than 10-15 seconds outside land without water hose.
    And with water hose no more than 1 min.

Well I bought it with the blown mag clyander which is all replaced (thats why I went to the tripple pump, to remedy lean condition), I put the old fuel pump on it to test and it pumps rather steady, but not sure if its alot more than the tripple fuel pump is performing.

I also saw a post on here, that the stopper hoses under the manifold does impact the fuel system in some way. Those hoses are not on at the moment, would this impact the pulse / fuel pressure?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!!
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Someone just asked this exact same question a couple days ago. Unfortunately I can't find the link.

Would prob be best if you start looking through old posts to see what you can find.

Use the search function to help locate your specific problem.

Talking

Thanks! I have been searching the crap out of this forumn, ill take a gander and see if I can find it.

+1

Excellent! I ll bypass this tonight, I just bought new gas lines and fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post

Soooooo. I'm not sure if I haven't drank enough beer yet or I haven't talk dirty enough to her yet. Here is the update, I bypassed the on/off, I can't get it to start without pouring a little gas in the carbs. When I do pour a little gas in the things revs to almost wide open throttle and stays there. Also the gas is still not coming thrrough the high output pump like it should. I can keep it running by choking and gassing but its at a high rpm. I put my finger over the pulse I can feel it pulsing but I'm not sure what a healthy pulse is. Please help! I spent to much time and money on this thing to give up, but I'm leaning towards an air leak, idears?

+1
    Are your fuel lines routed correctly?

It's either an air leak, or lack of fuel that will cause it to race like that.

are the in tank fuel lines good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information