Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Debate Thread - Riding Style VS Blowing Engines! Please post your opinion!

OK, really interested in hearing the debate that this should cause..

I ride HARD and OFTEN. Let's face it, I bought the GSXL because it was a mean machine in 98 rocking the 951.

My riding style? Beat the piss out of anything I'm on!

You will find me on a local river or lake with it.. most likely WOT to 30mph and dipping the bow, kicking the stern out of the water, nailing 360's. You will find me tossed off the thing at 50+mph. You will find me lighting it up and standing it up over and over coming out of the hole - pulling up the bars and bouncing it, bow up until it forces itself to plain at 45mph.

Do I do this the entire time I am on it? NO. but, I will do it maybe 1/4 of time I am on it. I bought it to beat on it. Period. I road it like this for 28 hours and the engine blew. I have no idea of the history of the engine. I bought it from a friend that just bought the thing.

So my friends say that you can't run that machine full throttle more than a few seconds. I get told that the 360's and 180's I do in the water are too much for that machine. I have even hear that if I ride a new RXP-X like that, I will blow the super charger up.

My question here… What is the recommended limit of a beating I should be dishing on this, now that I will have a brand new rebuild and it will be running top notch (after break-in)???

Will I really continue blowing up engines quickly from my riding style? Other people must ride like me? I know my friends don’t! But I have seen others on the water beating their machines like I do.

I of course have a history of blowing up engines and breaking toys.. From dirt bikes, four wheelers to the SPX and now add the GSXL to the list!

Jet skis are new to me this year, and this forum has helped me a ton getting through some major issues. I am almost at the point that I would trust myself with a complete rebuild, and that rocks in one season to have that much knowledge of multiple machines… So THANKS for that!!!

I will be about $3,500 into the GSXL (including purchase price) at this point. It will be nice if it will last. It looks perfect and will run perfect by next week.

If you have a thought or opinion - PLEASE POST IT! I am interested in what EVERYONE has to say.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I ride a little more controled than you do...360's and darting around like a pond skeeter aimlessly are some of the things I dont do. People see this a dangerous and out of control rider. At least I do anyway. however....you can find me trailing the biggest cabin cruiser (45ft min) with a rolling wake. dont look behind it...look above it. I sky my XP like is a moto cross dirt bike. on average im no less than 8ft out of the water clearing both sides of the wake once airborne. Hence my handle. depending how much liquid courageI have had I can do a back flip on this ski. I do also have the hammer down for miles at a time across the roughest wake. I like to show off and bob the ski vertically standing still, doing the original superman off the front ( lay over the hood, grab the nose,and drive with your feet) Ive had the same motor in my ski since day one...all original never apart and I have close to 200 hours on it.

believe it or not, I go in my own little area and I do the 360's. I don't ride wakes close to boats. I know the rep jetskiers have so I stay far away from everyone when I play.

I am glad you posted that.. Makes me feel a lot better about the ski and the way I ride!

PS: Marine patrol in New Hampshire is crazy! I wouldn't touch a sip of alcohol and ride. They are strict on .03 is drunk and I dont need to go to jail and toss my career for a little buzz while I ride.

Winnipesaukee?

Ya, you will find me in "The Broads" at Winni. I mostly launch in the Merrimack River lately. There is hardly anyone out there, water is warm and can hold it wide open for miles. Also hit Newfound Lake and Sunapee Lake.

Winni has that annoying 35mph speed limit

Are you nearby?

The xp is out on Rattlesnake Island right now. I head up every weekend and rip it. The broads can be tricky. When you get the northwest wind, those waves can look huge on the little two seaters. The xp holds its own though.

Sweet.. Next time I am heading up I will drop you a line.

I'll be out there this weekend fixing it

I have had a bunch of GSXL,s I can say this. Ride it like you stole it. The trick is knowing your machine. Listen look and pay attention to it. If it sound wrong different find out why. If it runs like crap find out why in most cases running the crap out of an engine thats not running rite wont clear it out it will ruin it and cost big bucks. If it bogs why? slow down hit it again if it bogs go back and fix it, keep running it and be prepared to pay. If you want to ride hard learn your Ski. I rode one in surf for several years no blow ups but I had to find several little problems. water getting into the tank and carbs. Water in the engine. worn wear rings. replaced fuel lines rebuilt carbs. i was payed back with one of the quickest Skis around. If you want to run it WFO for long periods get the carbs set up so its a hair on the fat side so pistons dont get to hot and engine will last longer but as a rule I never held WFO longer than I needed to. No need to 60 hurts 55 hurts just as bad. The trick is get to know the boat and do your own work or your at others mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I have had a bunch of GSXL,s I can say this. Ride it like you stole it. The trick is knowing your machine. Listen look and pay attention to it. If it sound wrong different find out why. If it runs like crap find out why in most cases running the crap out of an engine thats not running rite wont clear it out it will ruin it and cost big bucks. If it bogs why? slow down hit it again if it bogs go back and fix it, keep running it and be prepared to pay. If you want to ride hard learn your Ski. I rode one in surf for several years no blow ups but I had to find several little problems. water getting into the tank and carbs. Water in the engine. worn wear rings. replaced fuel lines rebuilt carbs. i was payed back with one of the quickest Skis around. If you want to run it WFO for long periods get the carbs set up so its a hair on the fat side so pistons dont get to hot and engine will last longer but as a rule I never held WFO longer than I needed to. No need to 60 hurts 55 hurts just as bad. The trick is get to know the boat and do your own work or your at others mercy.
    excellent post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information