Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Submerged 99 XP Limited

Unfortunately this is my first post. I've been lurking around for the past couple of weeks trying to pick up every piece of info I can. I bought my first pair of skis 2 weeks ago.

I took my 99 XPL to the river Sunday afternoon. Long story short, it flipped, was sucked 1/2 way under a dock, 1/2 way sunk in the water and yadda yadda. This is the steps I took, help me out if I am missing something.
    Pulled it out and drained it.
    Took the plugs out.
    Pulled the throttle all the way, put the laynard on and turned it over until water stopped coming out (only turning it over for 10 seconds and resting for 30).
    Repeated this until water did not come out of the plug holes and water didn't spill from the intake.
    Sprayed the plug holes with WD-40.
    Put new plugs in and tried to fire it up.

It wanted to for a split second, so I took the plugs out and turned it over for a few. Reinstalled the plugs. Same thing. Tried this about a dozen more times. Adding premix in the plug holes didn't help anything.

She wants to turn over just can't get her to pop.

I've been working on it for the past 2 nights trying to get it started. Is there anything I am missing? Will be doing a compression test and fogging it tonight.
    I thought I read somewhere that using starting fluid was not good. True?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH!

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID! you most likely need a new set of plugs. putting WD-40 in the cylinders isnt necessary. if you go run it for say 10 mins after you get the water out you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Romowens01 View Post
    Unfortunately this is my first post. I've been lurking around for the past couple of weeks trying to pick up every piece of info I can. I bought my first pair of skis 2 weeks ago.

I took my 99 XPL to the river Sunday afternoon. Long story short, it flipped, was sucked 1/2 way under a dock, 1/2 way sunk in the water and yadda yadda. This is the steps I took, help me out if I am missing something.
    Pulled it out and drained it.
    Took the plugs out.
    Pulled the throttle all the way, put the laynard on and turned it over until water stopped coming out (only turning it over for 10 seconds and resting for 30).
    Repeated this until water did not come out of the plug holes and water didn't spill from the intake.
    Sprayed the plug holes with WD-40.
    Put new plugs in and tried to fire it up.

It wanted to for a split second, so I took the plugs out and turned it over for a few. Reinstalled the plugs. Same thing. Tried this about a dozen more times. Adding premix in the plug holes didn't help anything.

She wants to turn over just can't get her to pop.

I've been working on it for the past 2 nights trying to get it started. Is there anything I am missing? Will be doing a compression test and fogging it tonight.
    I thought I read somewhere that using starting fluid was not good. True?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Yeah starting fluid is not recommended. Check all your fuses and make sure the electrical boxes are not full of water. Check and reseat the mpem connections or any connectors for that matter dry any water that could have gotten on the terminals. Check spark. Maybe even think about draining the fuel tank and starting over. Use carb cleaner to clean the oil off the plugs. While you need to fog the heck out of it when trying to start it does no good to pump all that oil to the cylinders pop new plugs in and try and start. You want to clear most of that wd40 out before trying to start. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Welcome to GH!

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID! you most likely need a new set of plugs. putting WD-40 in the cylinders isnt necessary. if you go run it for say 10 mins after you get the water out you should be ok.
    He's tried new plugs and no go. He may be using way to much wd40

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    He's tried new plugs and no go. He may be using way to much wd40
    opps...missed that. Yea I think that he used too much WD40 also. keep cranking it will fire

I'll keep at it. Thanks for the advice.

Side note, while fiddling around last night I noticed that one of the flame arrestors was cracked about 1/2 way around where the clamp was holding it on the carb. Where can I find a replacement for this? I searched and can only find replacements for the 98 XP Limited. Are they the same?

This ski has obviously had some work done on it. The Tempo lines have been replaced. It's converted from running an oil tank to premix. And there is a R&D header [click] on it. Not quite sure what else has been done. Anything I should really check for?

Well compression is 160 in each cylinder and installed new spark plugs. Pulled plugs from mpem and dried them. still no turning over.
    wires with plugs in them on the head has spark. battery is charged.
    darn thing acts like it wants to go but seems like it needs a little push. i can post a vid if it would help someone help me.

+1
    so your saying it wont crank anymore? just clicking? These old two strokes need 12.5V or they wont fire. take a set of jumper cables to a car battery that is NOT running. I bet you just have a weak battery

Fresh battery. Works in my other Seadoo.

I put my hand on the flame arrestor and the cover is just dripping with oil/gas. Too late now to go pick up some new arrestors but could this be the/a issue? If you haven't already notice I'm not much of a motorhead per say.

+1
    so with the plugs in, its not turning over? pull the plugs and see if it cranks but shut the gas off at the selector. crank it for a bit, put the plugs back in and crank it. I think that its just vapor locked/ flooded

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information